Kistler Run, Poconos

gweisinger

gweisinger

Greetings:

In my quest to find wild trout, I stumbled over a stream called
Kistler Run which is reportedly a Wild Brook Trout Enhancement Project stream. Anybody have info on this one? Checked it on Google Earth and it looks little and remote...just my kind of place. But, I wondered if it was worth a camping excursion.

Also found some info on Pohopoco Creek. It too is supposed to hold wild trout. Is it open to fishing? I've been finding that most of the streams in the Pocono area are private and I don't want to waste traveling to restricted water.

Thanks

Gary

There is a lot of private water in the poconos but there is also a lot of great open water as well. You can start by clicking on the link on the forum called "where to fish". I am curious as to why you are looking to go all the way to the poconos when you have plenty of small stream fishing and hiking/camping within 20 minutes of harrisburg?

Thanks for the response. I regularly explore the local streams and post my successes and failures on my web site at www.flifish.com. I like the Hickory Run State Park for camping so I've hit Hickory Run, Black Run, Jeans Run, Mud Run and a few others in the area of the park. These two looked interesting but I didn't want to make the trip if the streams have no real value for wild trout fishing.

I took a look at your website and it looks like have have quite a bit of experience fishing. People are often tight lipped about streams and access in certain areas like the poconos but you may get some pms from some willing folks.

I took a look at the natural trout reproduction list on the pafbc website and it notes that kistler run has a wild trout population from the headwaters to the mouth.

Edit: I re-read your post and saw that you already know that kistler and pohopoco have wild trout. Maybe someone else will comment about access on kistler but I assume there is some access because it was part of the the brook trout enhancement program. You can also search for pohopoco on the site and you will find a lot of info.

Kistler is mostly public. Fish it mouth of Tobyhanna and then head upstream. It's a very choked stream. Bring short rod.

Pohopoco in Monroe county is pretty much all private. It's very good brown trout stream with good habitat. I fished it today. Got skunked but it was expected. I'd recommend knocking on a door if you want to fish it.

Choked streams peak my curiosity. Kistler might be worth a day or two. Thanks for the info. Google Earth, Maps, etc., seem to show a 40-45 min driving trip from Hickory Run. I'll have to look to see if there are any campgrounds closer. Any info on those would also be welcome. Thanks!!

I stumbled across Kistler while scouting for turkey 5 years ago..Did not fish it subsequently.It was very chocked but I did see a few fish take on top

The BTEP has ended and Kistler Run is under general regs. Much of Kistler Run is on Public land.

Kistler run is worth the trip. Keep in mind this is a typical pocono swamp pay attention to the mud it can be nasty if it is not frozen. Good luck.

Don't forget tick repellent

gweisinger wrote:
Choked streams peak my curiosity. Kistler might be worth a day or two. Thanks for the info. Google Earth, Maps, etc., seem to show a 40-45 min driving trip from Hickory Run. I'll have to look to see if there are any campgrounds closer. Any info on those would also be welcome. Thanks!!

Tobyhanna State Park I think is pretty close, and has a campground ~ doesn't open until first week of trout season though (not sure what your time frame is....?)

Just go fish,all will be revealed.

Didn't the Millenium Falcon do this run in fourteen parsecs?

Back