Kettle, Cross Fork and Young Woman's Creek

DocPow

DocPow

My son and I are planning a fly fishing/camping trip to Slate Run, and the surrounding areas, next month, before he moves to Montana. (I know, right? LOL)

We are planning to focus mostly on Slate Run, especially from the 7 Mile Camp and Morris Run down to Manor Falls... but I would like to also explore the upper sections of Kettle Creek (and further down at the FFO section), Cross Fork and Young Woman's Creek (and maybe Hammersley Fork).

I have pretty much left my copies of... "Flyfisher's Guide to Pennsylvania" by Dave Wolf, "Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania" by Charles R. Meck and "Trout Streams of Pennsylvania, an Angler's Guide" by Dwight Landis... dogeared... As I take notes and look at maps and check the PF&B Commission site, I see there has been VERY significant changes at Kettle, Cross Fork and Young Woman's, since those books were published... They are stocking and for Cross Fork, Kettle at the FFO and Young Woman's and allowing for all tackle... And I wonder if Meck would still give those creeks his 3 and 4 star ratings and all the raves from Wolf and Landis?

Have the changes in regs and stocking changed, in a significant way, the reports by the above authors several years ago? I realize that this was probably discussed at length here when these changes went into effect, but any recent experience and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanx!
Mark

It was too long ago to give any advice but had to smile as these were the rivers that motivated me to move to Montana.
That area will get him in the mood.

If you're asking if they're still worth fishing, the answer is yes.

I fished that area Tuesday, had a great time on Pine and Slate. Babbs creek looked beautiful but I did not fish that and can't find much info on it. Seemed like a beautiful area.

DocPow wrote:

Have the changes in regs and stocking changed, in a significant way, the reports by the above authors several years ago?

I'd say no.

I'm not an old hand on those streams but get up there from time to time and these streams seem much the same to me. I still love Slate and Kettle. I don't know enough about YWC since they resumed stocking.

To be sure, every well known PA fishing destination has a cadre of old timers complaining that the waters are a "shadow of their former selves" and this sort of frame of mind. In my view, since stocking has abated on many well known trout streams and wild fish often predominate, many first time visitors to these waters see and catch few fish (I still venture into Slate Run with trepidation, that stream just seems to crush me). When this happens, these new anglers often believe the descriptions of how better things used to be. In the end, yuh just have to go there and see for yourself.

The beauty of these streams is still unmatched. For some motivation, here's a recent painting I did of the falls on Slate Run:

Attachments

• SR35.JPG
    SR35.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 12
I live in the area and hardly ever fish those streams anymore, to crowded in my book

Very Nice, Dave!! Well done! That looks like Manor Falls from the photos I have seen.

Sandfly, I am getting the idea that there are many remote streams with a decent amount of wild trout that don't see much pressure. I think the fun will be in finding them! Thanx.

All of those streams are good, I have fished all of them, though YWC not so much, because it's stocked. Concentrate on the more remote sections.

It might be worth noting just about all the streams in that area (and most of the state) are in dire need of rain. I just checked the USGS and Kettle and YWC are both under 50% of their historical flow.

Had some rain yesterday but Kettle went back down as fast as it came up. Little snow over the winter means no runoff.

I fish Kettle alot. There is mile after mile of under fished and unfished water with much diversity from small stream to large stream. If one can't find those areas, one is either to lazy to walk 200 yards or unable to read a map.

PM sent

@WingQuill...

We are all about walking in as far as we need to, as long as it leaves us time to fish... I have the USGS topo quads that cover the streams I mentioned. The State Forest maps (I hope) are on their way from DCNR. So looking forward to it! Thanx!

Back