Just moved to Hatfield, Montgomery county.

V

Vito_motox

What's up guys, I just joined, I'm 24 and just moved to Hatfield by myself a couple months ago, I've been fishing southeastern PA for a little but haven't gone past Bucks County. Also I've never really fly fished and just picked up a decent rod and reel at a local yard sale. I was wondering if anyone can tell me some good places for beginner fly fishing. I'm interested in wild trout streams, I'm not to interested in taking, I'm a catch and release type of person. I know people don't like to give their secrete locations, So if you could PM me if theres any good spots around here. I get done work at 730 am so morning spots are great, I'd only be going once or twice a week. Thanks guys! You got another life-time fly fisher.

welcome.
valley creek in valley forge near 76 and chesterbrook has some great opportunities for fly fishing wild browns and is about 30 minutes away from hatfield.

go to the "where to fly fish" tab on the right side of the web page under "site content" and that should get you pointed in the right direction.

i'm sure plenty of guys will also chime in on here.

Thanks, I've looked at the "where to" I've been to most of the south eastern over the years. I'll look into the valley creek area, have you had any good spots? Not looking to take your spot, just seeing where people have had some luck. Thanks, Ryan.

Keep an eye on anyone named McCoy.

Vito, welcome.

GenCon

Welcome. Barring generous advise or PMs, starting your exploring of trout in a certain vicinity should definitely be by visiting stocked Special Regulation streams. Not that these are the best, but because you will begin to get a feel for cool water habitats in the area and will fish over trout that are eager for a meal. You may even experience hatches on these creeks and rivers.

Begin to reach out into adjacent watersheds or tributaries to your newly-discovered special regs area. Plan an outing where you can go to that previously unknown stream and have an option or two of "known quantity" destinations nearby to fall back on if your fishing experience on the new stream is unsatisfactory.

At this time of year, the above may not be the best approach, but it will be after special regs waters are stocked in the fall.

Vito,
welcome!

I’m from Hatfield as well. Check your PM’s
Buffalo

The Lehigh Valley Streams are the streams closest to you. All have summer hatches and can fish well even for beginners.
Another Option is the Perkiomen Drainage, plenty of trout not plenty of people. That is also closer than Valley Creek.

Visit the PAFBC website, and download the PA Class A Wild Trout Stream listing in PDF. You will quickly see that you have options right in Bucks County. As Chaz stated, the Lehigh Valley offers plenty of nearby options for you as well. Good luck

Vito, welcome

Stop in at the Classic Fly Fisherman shop in Lansdale and they will give you lots of advise on where to go.

Chief

Back