Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Juniata system- Ice?

From Northern VA
With all of the talk/news footage of ice jams on the Susky and Delaware, I was wondering if the upper Juniata main branch or the lower frankstown branch have just as much ice? I was looking forward to searching for some migratory browns in that area this winter. It's close to an hour drive from state college and I don't want to waste the time if half the river is covered in ice. Any help is much appreciated

Posted on: 1/11 12:13

Re: Juniata system- Ice?
From Gettysburg
I'm not sure as I haven't been up in that area since the deep freeze this winter. I do fish the lower J in winter and I find that the main stem is usually open even when the tribs are frozen solid. That said, things are different this year. Personally, my view is that if there's chunk or slush ice in the main river channel.....it's not worth fishing and one should just wait till warmer temps.

If it were me, I'd wait till later this winter if you're serious about actually fishing and not just finding access areas etc.

Posted on: 1/11 13:16

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
Frankstown Branch near the middle section (Hollidaysburg to Williamsburg) had a lot of ice the other day.

Posted on: 1/11 22:07

From Northern VA
Thanks guys. I'll probably save my gas. I have a lot going on the next few months so maybe it's a good thing that I won't be tempted

Posted on: 1/14 18:24

From Lewistown
When I drove through town this weekend the ice stops at the railroad bridge in Lewistown. From Kish Creek down was ice free.

Posted on: 1/14 19:30

From Johnstown, PA
The Raystown banch from the point up is good this time of year.

Posted on: 1/22 6:06

From Northern VA
Good to know, thanks.

Posted on: 1/22 16:13

From Johnstown, PA
I think the state record brown came from up the raystown branch near the breast of the dam.

Posted on: 1/24 5:53

From Northern VA
A friend and I checked out a few spots yesterday. Started on Raystown Branch near Corbin's Island. Did not see any fish which was not surprising since we didn't wade. Drove along the river down to the point at the mouth. Talked to a guy there who said walleye fishing has been slow and asked if we ran into any brown trout closer to the dam. He said they start hitting hard this time of year, it was reassuring to know we weren't on a wild goose chase for browns in that area. Made a few casts from shore but decided it was pretty pointless and headed somewhere that I've actually caught trout before, the lower Frankstown Branch. I was worried it would be too iced over/dangerous to fish but aside from some slower side channels and shallow eddies it was totally ice-free. I hooked into 3 nice browns but did not land any of them. None were over 15-16" so at least I didn't lose any trophies. Great day exploring and I'll be back for sure. Love that area.

Posted on: 3/2 15:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com