Jean's Run-

KeithS

KeithS

If you can give me a head's up, please PM me. THANKS.

You probably should not attempt to fish it at this time of year.

Because you said so or is there a reason or two behind your admonition?

Safety.....

How does that help anyone?

Treacherous

So, what, I'm a dentist?

No, you are a lawyer.

Shane, what's the concern? Hunters, ice, what ?

Ice

Becker is right. Too dangerous.

It's steep, rough terrain and very likely to be icy now.

It would be a very tough situation for rescuers if you should fall and get hurt in there.

Thanks for the head's up. Becker gave me an alternative and I'll be on the road shortly.

Good advice here. This is as rough as they come, a real ballbuster. I know a couple of nuts...I mean friends... on this forum who have fished it in Winter, but would not recommend it. Even in good weather this is on my list of streams I would not even consider fishing alone, period. You get hurt in this one and you're in some trouble.

Keith,
I love the stream, but I would never fish it alone during the winter. It is one of the steepest brookies streams in PA, we're talking probably a 50% gradient from the mouth to the top of the mountain. That gradient means for every foot forward you go up a half foot.
Having said that people do go there to fish and hike during the winter, but take someone along so if something happens, you'll have help.
During the warm weather season it's difficult to fish at best because of the brush and gradient. That's why Becker says don't fish it during the winter.

Can you believe it? I was helpful with a brookie stream! Let me know how it worked out for ya Keith.

Shane,
The other suggestion didn't work out too well. I guess I just need to do more research before heading out. It sure was nice just to be outside today, though.

Brookies are stupid anyways. The stream I pm'd you about is really good for those dumb little fish. If you get up this way again give me a shout if you want to fish. Just not for those racoon treats.

Becker,
That would be great. I could use the help.

few things. I definitely agree with the comments of SB, Swattie, and TB that Jeans Run is too remote and steep and just overall hairy to mess with in the winter. As TB notes, rescuers could have an awful time getting in there and the nighttime lows are nothing to mess with this time of year. Through some combination of stupidity, luck, and experience with the ways in and out, I have fished it in the winter before.. but I wont fish it either alone or in the winter any more.

The gradient was mentioned, yeah the stream seems like 50%, but if you get out a topo it has about 10% grade over its steepest half mile. 10% doesn't sound like that much, but any stream with 10% grade in a half mile is very steep. There is a section of Jeans with a 60 ft drop at about a 20% grade (60 ft drop in 300 ft of stream course), and that signals a waterfall or waterfalls.

Slope/gradient is worth a look when considering steep streams. (I do this with a detailed garmin gps topo map). I recently was taken to a tiny stream I didn't know, and didn't bother to check the gradient. Turns out to be 10% over a half mile, and it was very steep -- so the climbing got hairy even though the stream is really quite small. Had a blast, but don't think I'd do it solo.

Most PA streams don't have a 10% grade over a half mile. The steepest PA stream I know is glen onoko, which has a 25% grade over a half mile -- that's going to be waterfalls more than stream. also many people have been hurt there. I would never try to fish it or even hike it.

One stream classification system counts streams over 10% as the steep ones, which says something. A stream with 7% grade in a hlf mile, such as stone run in Wyoming county, is actually quite steep.

I know the stream type system linked below isn't some universal std, but when a PA stream has 10% grade over a half mile, or has a 60ft elevation loss in 300 ft or less of stream course (so a 20% slope/grade), it's a good candidate to fish with buddies and leave alone in the winter imho...

http://www.extension.org/pages/62481/rosgen-classification-method#.UsQgLKOA0dV

http://www.extension.org/pages/62482/rosgen-type-aa-streams#.UsQds6OA0dU

Glenn Onoko makes for some fantastic Ice climbing in the winter, far better use of that area then trying to catch some brooks..

Back