Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Jean's Run-

From Lansdale
Shane,
The other suggestion didn't work out too well. I guess I just need to do more research before heading out. It sure was nice just to be outside today, though.

Posted on: 12/28 19:00

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Brookies are stupid anyways. The stream I pm'd you about is really good for those dumb little fish. If you get up this way again give me a shout if you want to fish. Just not for those racoon treats.

Posted on: 12/28 19:36

From Lansdale
Becker,
That would be great. I could use the help.

Posted on: 12/29 6:31

few things. I definitely agree with the comments of SB, Swattie, and TB that Jeans Run is too remote and steep and just overall hairy to mess with in the winter. As TB notes, rescuers could have an awful time getting in there and the nighttime lows are nothing to mess with this time of year. Through some combination of stupidity, luck, and experience with the ways in and out, I have fished it in the winter before.. but I wont fish it either alone or in the winter any more.

The gradient was mentioned, yeah the stream seems like 50%, but if you get out a topo it has about 10% grade over its steepest half mile. 10% doesn't sound like that much, but any stream with 10% grade in a half mile is very steep. There is a section of Jeans with a 60 ft drop at about a 20% grade (60 ft drop in 300 ft of stream course), and that signals a waterfall or waterfalls.

Slope/gradient is worth a look when considering steep streams. (I do this with a detailed garmin gps topo map). I recently was taken to a tiny stream I didn't know, and didn't bother to check the gradient. Turns out to be 10% over a half mile, and it was very steep -- so the climbing got hairy even though the stream is really quite small. Had a blast, but don't think I'd do it solo.

Most PA streams don't have a 10% grade over a half mile. The steepest PA stream I know is glen onoko, which has a 25% grade over a half mile -- that's going to be waterfalls more than stream. also many people have been hurt there. I would never try to fish it or even hike it.

One stream classification system counts streams over 10% as the steep ones, which says something. A stream with 7% grade in a hlf mile, such as stone run in Wyoming county, is actually quite steep.

I know the stream type system linked below isn't some universal std, but when a PA stream has 10% grade over a half mile, or has a 60ft elevation loss in 300 ft or less of stream course (so a 20% slope/grade), it's a good candidate to fish with buddies and leave alone in the winter imho...

http://www.extension.org/pages/62481/ ... ation-method#.UsQgLKOA0dV

http://www.extension.org/pages/62482/ ... e-aa-streams#.UsQds6OA0dU

Posted on: 1/1 8:35

Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 8:57:37
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 8:57:54
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:06:09
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:12:30
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:13:23
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:14:46
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:16:41
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:21:16
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:23:15
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:23:58
Edited by k-bob on 2014/1/1 9:25:32

From Bucks County
Glenn Onoko makes for some fantastic Ice climbing in the winter, far better use of that area then trying to catch some brooks..

Posted on: 1/1 12:04

Ok, but not for me, article notes hazards to hikers and rescuers.

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-08-17/ ... looks-chief-william-diehm

Posted on: 1/1 12:45

Quote:

k-bob wrote:

The gradient was mentioned, yeah the stream seems like 50%, but if you get out a topo it has about 10% grade over its steepest half mile. 10% doesn't sound like that much, but any stream with 10% grade in a half mile is very steep. There is a section of Jeans with a 60 ft drop at about a 20% grade (60 ft drop in 300 ft of stream course), and that signals a waterfall or waterfalls.

Slope/gradient is worth a look when considering steep streams. (I do this with a detailed garmin gps topo map). I recently was taken to a tiny stream I didn't know, and didn't bother to check the gradient. Turns out to be 10% over a half mile, and it was very steep -- so the climbing got hairy even though the stream is really quite small. Had a blast, but don't think I'd do it solo.

Most PA streams don't have a 10% grade over a half mile. The steepest PA stream I know is glen onoko, which has a 25% grade over a half mile -- that's going to be waterfalls more than stream. also many people have been hurt there. I would never try to fish it or even hike it.

One stream classification system counts streams over 10% as the steep ones, which says something. A stream with 7% grade in a hlf mile, such as stone run in Wyoming county, is actually quite steep.

I know the stream type system linked below isn't some universal std, but when a PA stream has 10% grade over a half mile, or has a 60ft elevation loss in 300 ft or less of stream course (so a 20% slope/grade), it's a good candidate to fish with buddies and leave alone in the winter imho...

It's not unusual for trout streams to have a gradient of less than 1%. For example Cross Fork Creek's gradient, from origin to mouth, is .81%. And most people would consider it a medium gradient stream, not a low gradient stream. It's a riffle-pool type stream.

Posted on: 1/1 21:19

here's a crazy one: 15% grade over half a mile. just straight down.

Attach file:

jpg  11707903255_6c4c704f2e_c.jpg (130.79 KB)
2769_52c56b13c5875.jpg 350X800 px

Posted on: 1/2 8:35

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I know a couple of nuts...I mean friends... on this forum who have fished it in Winter.

:-0. Who?

Hehe.

Posted on: 1/2 8:53

more conventional crazy stream: 10% slope/ half mi.

Attach file:

jpg  11708435143_1f5bfce5ff_z.jpg (109.36 KB)
2769_52c56f775ac0d.jpg 280X640 px

Posted on: 1/2 8:54

those people are probably gone :)

Posted on: 1/2 8:54

Fishing those steep streams is good exercise. No need to buy a stair-stepper machine.

This summer a buddy and I fished a stream in Sproul State Forest where the elevation change between where we started fishing on the lower part of the creek back up to car was 1318 feet.

That may not be much by the standards of mountain climbers in the Rockies, but it's a lot for PA, and gives you a workout.

Posted on: 1/2 9:25

From South Lebanon Township, PA
I think they lived to tell the tale. :)

On one of my trips with a group into this stream, I was the furthest downstream (working upstream) at the time. Because of the gradient and roar of the water, you often can’t hear someone talking or even yelling just ahead of you. I was climbing up out of the stream to the “trail” – I use that term VERY loosely – through the rhodo on one of the banks. The climb out of the stream at this spot is probably 20 or so feet high, and somewhere on the order of a 60% degree slope…not vertical, but VERY steep. I thought I could climb it instead of walking back down to the bottom of the pools and up the easier way. About 3/4 of the way up I went for some footing on a milk crate sized boulder that proceeded to just give way beneath me and crash into the stream bed. Fortunately my hands were around some sizable roots over my head at the precipice and I was able to pull/crawl myself up. There was just enough slope that I probably could have slowed myself down enough on the way down to not break anything if I didn’t have a good hand hold, but it wouldn’t have felt very good hitting the stream bed from that height. And seeing as though I was the furthest downstream and we were leapfrogging, I don’t think anyone would have heard me right away if I did need help. Needless to say, I took the longer, easier route from there forward on this stream. In all seriousness, and not trying to exaggerate a thing, don’t fish this stream or others like it alone.

Posted on: 1/2 9:31

tb: I don't like to walk 1318 feet in a straight smooth level line :) that's crazy.

swattie: now that steep, deep ravine streams have a lot of snow and ice, it will be a long time til it's gone. little sun and a cool microclimate down there.

Posted on: 1/2 9:47

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, that "winter" day we fished was actually early spring. The valley had no snow. Things were different in that ravine.

I also fished it one EXTREMELY hot July day a few years back. The high topped 100. I don't think it hit 80 down there, we were joking the whole way up about how bad the weather report was. Then we climbed over that last big waterfall and topped out, and the heat hit us suddenly, like a ton of bricks. At the exact same time, we hit cell phone range, and my buddy's phone went nuts. He had a bunch of voicemails from his wife telling him to come home immediately because the A/C died. It was nearly dark by the time he got em. Oops.

Posted on: 1/2 11:02

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com