Info on Lackawanna trophy trout section?

K

Keith

Never fished this river before. What are some good access points and is it wise to bring my 12 year old son along?any tips on what to use?thanks for any info

Keith

I'd be very careful of a 12 year old wading some parts of the Lackawanna. That being said, there are many areas he could safely wade, even fish from shore.

Trophy trout section starts at the Gilmartin St. bridge in Archbald.

Standard nymphing fare will work, as will wooly buggers. Starting to see the occasional little black stone fly here and there.

Where are you located? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Dave

Fished it last week and can say there are parts your son could wade safely and others he definitely could not. The walking trail along the river provides pretty good access throughout.

Check the USGS gauge for Archbald. My preference for safe wading is for it to be under 150 CFS but some will fish the Lack at 300. I'm pushing 60 and in terrible shape so if I can wade it a 12 yr old certainly can.

Feel free to pm or email for more information. During the week I'm usually online for a bit in late evening when I can get WiFi. (I'm a trucker)

Also if you stop in at A & G Outfitters in Dickson City they can help you. They sell a map with access points for $10 but will advise for free. There's good fishing by the shop. I prefer upstream from there. It's below the trophy trout section but still class a and open for fishing. Fishing is closed on the upper stocked section north of Carbondale.

Thank you all for the response. I never made it up there Saturday but I will eventually and plan to check out the shop in Dickson city. I am located in Berwick. Thanks again Keith

Fishing is good all the way to old forge. Make sure your child has a staff, cold dunk this time of year. Big boulders and holes all over the river.

Just don't fish the river near the confluence with the Susquehanna unless you like orange water!

Keith,

I sent a pm today with detailed directions.

Im not sure it went through, PM seemed a little squirrley

BB: Yes, quite orange below the bore hole. I think it's the single largest point source of pollution in the Chesapeake watershed.

Interestingly, I've heard fairly credible reports of trout being caught below Old Forge! It's crazy.

Thank you Cathy for the detailed pm. I will put your info to good use. I replied to pm but it seems not to be working. Again thank you

Back