Indian Run - Lancaster

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

I'm looking to explore some new streams in Lancaster and I came across Indian Run listed as an approved trout water. I also saw Indian Spring Run listed as a natural trout reproduction stream. These are two different streams, correct? I don't want to burn any spots, but I'm just looking for some direction as to how I can access the Approved Trout waters. I've been looking at some maps and I can't discern exactly where or how to access this stream. Any help would be much appreciated it. I apologize in advance if this is seen as spot burning and will take the post down if it is.

All the best,

Michael

I live in Lancaster and have never even heard of it??? I would like some info. as well.

Both are in the old TU PA limestone streams book. I did want to check this out too. I found very little info out there - one of those is misnamed if I remember right.

I'll look up my notes later...

Indian spring run is in southeast lancaster county and does have wild Brookies along with tons of trash and posted water.

Indian run is in Ephrata and as little to no reproduction.

Is the Indian Run in Ephrata the one that is Approved Trout Waters?
I see on the map that it goes all the way up past the turnpike into some woods... worth exploring up there?

Is there any public access on Indian Spring Run?

I don't know about the headwaters past the turnpike. I wouldn't mind exploring up there some day, but down in Ephrata its trash water.

The TU book says its a limestoner. It's on my to fish list - I took
The book and cross referenced it with the class a and NR lists and got hits on 5 or 6 streams in the SCPA/SEPA region.

90% of the streams in the book were recorded back then as too warm and no fish, it would be interesting to re do the book and see where is now fishable.

geebee wrote:
The TU book says its a limestoner. It's on my to fish list - I took
The book and cross referenced it with the class a and NR lists and got hits on 5 or 6 streams in the SCPA/SEPA region.

90% of the streams in the book were recorded back then as too warm and no fish, it would be interesting to re do the book and see where is now fishable.

It took joe Armstrong 7+ years to to investigate thebook. Go for it.

raftman wrote:

Is there any public access on Indian Spring Run?

The section of Indian Spring Run that is listed on the Lancaster County natural repro list actually lies in West Caln Twp., Chester County. Just downstream from the listed section, Indian Spring Run flows into Lancaster County from Chester County in an area heavily occupied by typical Lancaster County Amish farms.

The section in Chester County runs parallel to a Twp. road and I have looked at it from the vehicle - never actually fished it. It appears to be mostly private property so access would need to be gained by asking permission.

Chaz, we could take a County each ;0)

Indian Spring Run ST are present in low density but their size is better than avg. If I recall correctly, there is an unnamed trib to Indian Spring Run that was better.

geebee wrote:
Chaz, we could take a County each ;0)
So we need 67 guys.

Back