Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

How's the fishing around Hersey Park?

From Perkasie PA
My in-laws want to take us and the kids to the Hersey Hotel for the weekend for some Xmas festivities at the end of November. I'm hoping to sneak out for a few hours for some fishing. Any streams that are really close by that are worth hitting? (i'm talking like 5-10 minutes from the resort?

Posted on: 2012/11/6 11:27

Re: How's the fishing around Hersey Park?

From Mount Joy, PA
Manada Creek is probably 15 minutes north of Hershey. A nice stream with hints of being a mountain freestoner. DHALO along its upper reaches with wild bows and browns mixed in. Just take 743 to 443 and go west.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 11:33

From SCPA
PM Sent.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 12:02

From Philly
i sent one too.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 12:23

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
Last time I was in the park, I know I wanted to smuggle in a fly rod and take a shot at the carp in the stream that runs through the park...

Posted on: 2012/11/6 12:53

From Maytown, PA
I have wanted to fish the Park also but I guess that would be frowned on. I have actually seen some trout holding in the stream, early in the season. How cool would that be to be able to fly fish in there while the family does its thing.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 14:51

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Swatara Creek runs just north of the park...it's a pretty good warmwater stream, but warmwater streams tend to not fish very well at the end of November.

For Trout, there's not really much within 5-10 mins of the park, but if you're willing to travel 15-20 mins you have some decent options. There's Manada Creek north of Hershey...better than average stockie stream with a fair wild population as wg mentioned. Quittapahilla Creek in Annville is a recovering limestoner and holds over its stockies pretty well. Might be some limited wild fish in it too. This is maybe 15 minutes east of Hershey on 422.

The stream that runs through the park is Spring Creek, and I suspect it's a full on limestoner upstream of the park. All private land with poor access probably though. Running through the park and a golf course probably doesn't help it any from there downstream, but I've fished its mouth at the Swatara in the Summer before...cold water in the middle of Summer. Probably has potential, but I'm not sure if there's any Trout in it, or if you can find any access to it.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 15:33

The Quittie in Annville is the correct answer IMO. Very easy access and lots of fish. With limited time and not being familiar with the stream, it's very easy to find the fish, as the section in the park is only about 1/2 mile long. It's just of route 422 in Annville. Just look for a small green sign "Quittie Park" on your right coming from Hershey. Just past the Lebanon Valley College......Good Luck.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 19:33

From Johnstown, PA
Half hour 20 minutes you are at Clarks Creek i'd fish the special regs section you will love this stream if you've never been there before take some time just to watch it. GOOD LUCK i don't know how to do pictures but if u do...................again GOOD LUCK wherever you decide to go.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 6:44

From Perkasie PA
Thanks for the feedback and PMs. any idea on what early winter patterns work well in those streams?

Posted on: 2012/11/7 10:38

From Gamehendge
If I was gunna be home I'd show ya around some of the local streams. If you decide on manada, bushy buggers in size 6-8 are my goto. The quittie will be the same. Maybe a few small caddis coming off, but it's hard to say.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 16:06

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
The stream that runs through the park is Spring Creek, and I suspect it's a full on limestoner upstream of the park. All private land with poor access probably though. Running through the park and a golf course probably doesn't help it any from there downstream, but I've fished its mouth at the Swatara in the Summer before...cold water in the middle of Summer. Probably has potential, but I'm not sure if there's any Trout in it, or if you can find any access to it.

I fished it at the Jam in May....oh wait.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 12:21

From Dauphin PA
Grew up in Hershey and have been caught fishing in the park around a dozen times. We broke a bunch of rods on those corn fed pigs. Manada, Quittie or Clark's are all good suggestions. You can always use #16 PT, huggers or egg patterns to catch them in the winter. I live a mile from Clark's, 300 yds from Stony and work in Hershey. If you need help or company, shoot me a PM.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 14:54

From Hershey
Really, cold water at the mouth? After all the ponds in the park and two sewage plants? I have only fished that area after the weather turns cold so not doubting but need convincing. I have gotten to know the area upstream from there a bit lately.

Posted on: 2012/11/17 20:15

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

riverwhy wrote:
Really, cold water at the mouth?

Yep, well relatively cold anyway...I was wet wading the Swatara...in July I believe. Guessing the water temps in the Swatara were probably somewhere around 80...Spring was noticeably colder. I didn't temp it, but 70ish would have been my guess. Perhaps not ideal for trout down below the park, but cold enough to make you wonder about upstream of the park.

Posted on: 2012/11/17 20:37

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com