Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How's the fishing around Hersey Park?

Very small creek... Definitely holds some trout. Look for them in the swattie in the spring right downstream of the mouth. Saw a tank of a rainbow this past spring. Couldn't get it to eat however.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 9:10

From Hershey
A friend of mine used to own the old stone house right where Spring crosses under 422 after it runs through the golf course. His kids were fishing for a trout in their backyard one day. Someone told me there is a trout nursury back there but I am not sure if it is on Spring or not. In fact I am not even sure exactly where Spring starts (on the golf course where I hear there is a nice spring) or if it is the one branch that runs through the Milton Hershey lands that is dammed and runs through a bunch of ponds. Sometimes it is piped underground. Also, Milton Hershey steals about every drop of water from that creek during the summer. There are at least a couple springs that revitalize it down low. I have seen what looked like chubs and fallfish in it but the water has that white sand spring creek look without all the vegetation.

I run through this area quite frequently but now I may have to hike it and do a little exploring.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 10:11

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

From South Lebanon Township, PA
The main stem of Spring's headwaters flows under rt 322 just east of Milton Hershey. This is the area that I mentioned before that looks very much like a limestoner. Pretty small, but flat water and consistent flows and there looks to be some aquatic veg there too. From there upstream it flows through several back yards and farms. All private land, not sure on posting, but I wouldn't feel right fishing up through yards out in the open like that on a non ATW or special reg stream.

The small spring/trib that flows through Milton Hershey property is probably darn close to equal size to the main stem (before any draw-off by MH). The two branches come together just south of 422. It then picks up another decent sized branch from the east (the one that flows through Hershey CC) just before it heads into the park.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 10:45

From Hershey
Swattie,

According to google maps you are correct. My gazetteer has Spring Creek starting just north of Cambelltown then flowing northwest and crossing 422 just east of where Spring crosses (to the east of the Hampton Inn. That according to google maps is actually the south branch of the run that crosses Mansion road. Funny I never noticed that branch crossing 422 on my way to Palmyra?

What now appears to be Spring Creek has its source in a number of small tribs back in the Bachman Road and Eby Rd. area. I think I read in some book that Milton Hershey operated a trout hatchery back there. I think one of those branches looked spring fed but was quickly degraded by other branches with dreadful farming practices. A real shame. Funny, I never looked at Spring Creek (What I now know to be Spring Creek and the branches just discussed) where it crosses 322 to to be anything more than a drainage ditch for Milton Hershey farmland. There is a dam looking upstream and one downstream I believe as well. I am guessing that half the summers this thing has no water flowing between the dam pools.

The other branch crosses 743 as it flows northward and crosses Bachmanville before running through Milton Hershey Athletic Fields (my daughter's soccer team practices back here), It actually looks fairly nice at this point but then runs basically through meadows (many of which get burned off by the school. It also then flows through a bunch of ponds by founders then goes underground in pipes and in ponds for awhile before re-emerging and flowing into Spring just south of 422 and going then going under 422 by my friends house near the chocolate factory. Supposeldly there is a trout nursery here somewhere. Perhaps by the Environmental Barn?

Sorry for all the specific local geography!

Posted on: 2012/11/23 12:22

Walk up the river to the cedar trees, follow the sun and catch a nice cool breeze

From Perkasie PA
bumping this thread. Heading up again this weekend. It's gonna be a snowy mess on Sat, but I might be able to fish for an hour or so. Do these creeks freeze over or should I be good?

Posted on: 12/12 10:28

From South Lebanon Township, PA
dub - The ones with limestone influence down in the valley won't be frozen. Manada and the other freestoners along Blue Mountain will likely have the potential to be partially frozen in spots.

The Quittie will be your most reliable bet probably, for what it's worth. No way it will be frozen. Much of this thread discusses Spring Creek in Hershey, which won't be frozen either, but nearly all of it is posted, or running right through backyards where I wouldn't feel comfortable fishing.

Posted on: 12/12 11:55

From Lancaster Co.
I replied in the thread on the WW Forum. Quittie is your best bet given the limited time you have. Even that is stretching it.

Posted on: 12/12 17:42

From Perkasie PA
Wound up at the Manada for about an hour in this snowstorm. Does it run above that water treatment plant that's fenced off? I only saw one fish at that little plunge pool about 200 yrds down from that bridge and I hooked him on a caddis larva. Shelf ice broke him off at my feet. He was a small bow, looked to be a holdover. I hiked it for a while down and didn't see another fish.

Posted on: 12/14 16:36

From Mount Joy, PA
It looks like you were wayyyy down on the Manada, where it enters into the Swatara. The trout water is a good distance from that upstream.

Posted on: 12/15 9:10

From Perkasie PA
I didn't notice any roads on google maps that would have gotten me above that.

Posted on: 12/15 22:48

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com