Hickory Run State Park

thebassman

thebassman

Hey everyone.

I am thinking of taking a weekend to go camping. I was curious how the stretch of water through the state park was. According to the website there are wild brook and brown trout in there. I was curious if it was a healthy population.

I have never caught a brook trout (never really fished for them) but would love to hook into a few. I plan on driving around checking out other streams, but the access to this one being in the place I am camping seems appealing. Curious as to leader/tippet and flies you would use.

Steven

Hey bassman,

Should be a good time. There are lots of places to fish right in the park and just outside the park.

Here are some threads with details and a link to a great map of the area:

HRSP 1

HRSP 2

Good luck...good fishing...post a report!

We try to get up there to camp and fish for a weekend once a month. One of our favorite places to go. A lot of good information in the two threads that afishinado listed. Good luck!

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to make the trip up there!

I'm up here for the week and today I briefly fished Hawk Run where it crosses 534 and had several nice brookies take my dry fly. The water is running well from all of the rain and its COLD. Make your bones ache cold. I'm headed back out tomorrow.

Back