Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Help with Valley Creek?

From Delaware Co.
I know its a bit of hike for a few of you but staying away from spawning browns in the fall is one of the many reasons that I start to fish the salt this time of year . If you live to far away its also a great time of the year to target Essox and stocked trout on streams with no reproduction .

Honestly strictly trout fisherman in allot of ways are their own worst enemies in trout conservation . Just my two cents .....

Posted on: 2017/11/17 14:39

From Southeast, PA
^^^ absolutely

Posted on: 2017/11/17 17:16

From Chester County
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
I know its a bit of hike for a few of you but staying away from spawning browns in the fall is one of the many reasons that I start to fish the salt this time of year . If you live to far away its also a great time of the year to target Essox and stocked trout on streams with no reproduction .

Honestly strictly trout fisherman in allot of ways are their own worst enemies in trout conservation . Just my two cents .....

I agree with Fred. Give wild trout a break around spawning time.

Speaking of Valley in particular, every year around this time of year I try to make it my business to walk along the stream. My observations have been that the peak of the spawn most years is around Thanksgiving and lasts well into December. Also, through the winter into the early spring the redds should be left undisturbed.

There seems to be a bumper crop of YOY trout from the last spawn in Valley. Those little guys are all over the place! Good to see.....keep that going!!

Posted on: 2017/11/18 7:24

From Nowheresville, PA
"Honestly strictly trout fisherman in allot of ways are their own worst enemies in trout conservation . Just my two cents ....."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep

Posted on: 2017/11/18 8:10

From Nowheresville, PA

Posted on: 2017/11/18 8:12

From philadelphia
shakey wrote:
Quote:

NickR wrote:
Some very good advice given in previous posts. Watch out for spawning fish and redds. I really don't see how someone can avoid stepping on redds when they are wading through a Creek that is 5-15 feet wide in most places? I stopped by the other day and saw 5!guys wading right through the middle of the Creek. The redds are there for a considerable amount of time after thenfiah spawn on them and become harder to spot as time passes. Those Valley Creek fish never really get a break and that's why they are so finicky.

Legend has it that Valley Creek trout won't eat a fly if you present a fly from upstream of the fish. That would be false. Casting down allows you to present your flies first so your not putting a fly line over the fishes head. I get a lot of strikes on the swing or right when the line starts to tighten up and the flies start to rise in the water column...see Leisenring lift.

yes! i only fish valley down,unless i have to use a dry.

also,i use pretty big flies there.

But!!!
Post spawn,I don’t wade till spring.

Those eggs have to hatch!!
i do not crawl.

i don't stay out of the water.

i don't wear camo.

so,i fish valley pretty much the opposite of how most people suggest you fish it.

good luck!

Posted on: 2017/11/23 20:49

Edited by Maurice on 2017/11/23 23:40:03
Edited by Maurice on 2017/11/23 23:41:03

From lancaster county
If you swing a caddis after a very long cast goin downstream, i bet you could wear sparklers with spinning tassels and catch fish in valley

Posted on: 2017/11/26 23:02

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com