Heavy Penns Brown

Heberly

Heberly

Been hanging onto some of these photos for a little while... Small back story, to help cure the cabin fever. This fish was caught in public water on Penns a couple weeks ago, it is my largest brown. I started nymphing about 2 years ago, and have been cutting my teeth in a stretch of penns from about ingleby to Poe. I've adjusted my lifestyle even down to my vehicle to get there from Bloomsburg, (clean diesel TDI). I'm in love, to be frank. I felt this fish was an outstanding example of what resides in public waters, I have not seen a photo of a larger one from penns, although I am sure they exist. Wondering if anyone has big penns brown photos to share?

Very nice. Makes me want to get in the car and start driving.

Fantastic fish

Really like the way the green of the water contrasts with the snow in the third picture.
That hole looks very familiar to me. Is it upstream from Ingleby?

car heck, I'm booking plane tickets LOL!

Great pics! and great pic!

dryflyguy wrote:
Really like the way the green of the water contrasts with the snow in the third picture.
That hole looks very familiar to me. Is it upstream from Ingleby?

Thanks! This hole is about 1/4 mile or so above the cherry run parking lot ( upstream ) I doubt it's this calm on a normal flow however. Penns is running a bit low for this time of the year. We actually had rising fish on this particular day near the poe tunnel.

Nice pics!

Heberly wrote:
I have not seen a photo of a larger one from penns...

And I don't think you are likely to see one anytime soon.

This is the kind of fish that everyone hopes exists in their favorite streams and you've proven that they are, in fact, out there.

Nice fish, but even better photos.

Wow, congrats. That is one heck of a beutiful fish.

GenCon

This hole is about 1/4 mile or so above the cherry run parking lot ( upstream)

A-ha. I was wondering the same. Now I've placed it. I relatively frequently park at Poe and walk to Cherry Run, and fish my way back.

Islands upstream, the stream re-converges into a riffle, which then enters this pool to your left. Big deep cut at the head of the pool there on your left side. Below here the pool shallows out into a long, slow flat like Penns is so famous for. The tailout is near the cabin and there's a few more islands there.

I've always wondered how this hole fares during the evening rise? If I'm there for the evening, usually this is one of the first pools I hit, and I'm mostly nymphing. I've caught fish in it but to be honest the pool usually disappoints me, but I suspect it's merely due to timing. By the time things really get started (underneath or on top), I'm usually well upstream.

Great fish, thanks for sharing those wonderful photos. Shots like that are like Tylenol for cabin fever; not a magic cure, but makes you feel better.

Yea, I think you have placed it. Water re-emerges just above it. We were thinking the same thing as far as evening rise, I typically hang in the ingleby to Poe tunnel stretch, so this area was a little new to me.. There is one final cabin where I think the power lines end, this hole would be maybe a few hundred yards above.

Here is the only other photo we shot, we had the fish out of the water for less than 10 seconds as I recall, I'll never forget watching it swim away, mainly because I shook like a little girl for about 20 minutes after. You wonder if these fish are there for years, then there they are.

Edit for some reason I can't add HTML that works now?

Very nice fish, and awesome photos. Great work by you!

Great pics as always Heberly. I think a lot of us are in love with Penns. Fish and scenery like that will get you hook, line and sinker.

How big is that fish? I've seen a lot of big fish come out of Penns during the drakes.

All shapes and sizes available at Penns:

Attachments

• Brownhead.jpg
    Brownhead.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5
Nice trout. Penns is big water, definitely a place to harbor big fish, lots of great tribs for spawning too. I am sure there is some giants in there.

Also, I like how you mentioned that fish was caught in open, public water. There is a perception that there is no big fish on public, non special reg. waters. That couldn't be further from the truth. Half the fisherman or more are gone from these areas by May, and if you fish fall/winter in these areas you just might be surprised.

A few of my largest, non Great Lakes trout, 2 that measured 30" and one other at 29", were out of totally public, non special-reg. water. As was mentioned in the previous big fish post about a large trout from Lancaster Co., these big ones move around ALOT in that fall/winter time frame, you just gotta know and understand the waterway you are fishing. There are things and patterns unique to each stream/system.

Again, nice fish, glad to see people out getting it done in winter!

Heberly,

Congratulations on the fish and being out there in the cold. Lots of these "fair-weather" guys do not venture out of their comfort zone...maybe your post will encourage more 4-season fishing.

Who took the photos and processed them...they are well done also?!?

Back