Heading to the Beaverkill...

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

My wife and I (and out dog Whitman) are going to be camping at Beaverkill Campground up in the Catskills for a couple of days at the end of June/beginning of July to celebrate our anniversary and our first pop-up camper. We got a stream side site and I'm planning on doing some fishing (I promised my wife I wouldn't fish the entire time..).

Has anyone fished this stretch of water before? Any fly suggestions? I'd love to do some dry fly fishing along with some nymphing.

Has anyone ever stayed at this campground?

Thanks so much!

-Michael

Also.... we're looking for a nice hike to do with the dog, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

When I first read this, I assumed Roscoe campground which basically borders the beginning of the no kill section at Barnharts pool. I was wrong. Looking at the map on my phone, I'm confused. Is this on the 'upper / little' beaverkill? One map makes me think it's on the Willowemoc.

At any rate, you will want to check temps prior to casting. That time of year could be too warm for trout fishing. That could apply to willow, little and big beaverkill. There are quite a few small mountain streams where brookies can be found.

As for hiking w/ the pooch, you'll have several thousad acres of state lands right there. Depending where you go, expect to see bear and rattlers. Fly fishing museum is close by as well.

Based on normal flows / temps, you may want to try one of the tailwaters (neversink or upper east near downsville). Hatches will likely be at first light o in the last hour of daylight.

I'd touch base with Dennis and Walt at Catskill Flies a day or two before you head up. He'll have up to date flows, temps and hatches. Enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up!

The campground sits right along the Beaverkill - http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24455.html

OK. I was able to find it on the map. You would be up river from Roscoe on the Beaverkill (sometimes called little beaverkill). Much of the water up there is private or owned by clubs. It may or may not be cool enough to fish as it looks like the DEC owns a mile or so of access.

You'll be in the middle of the park and should have plenty of hiking opportunities right there. There are several lakes, ponds, beaver dams just south of you that should offer opportunities for brook trout, bass, pickerel if the Beaverkill is to low / warm.

You'd have about a 25 minute drive to the Downsville / Corbett section of the upper East. That river will be low, clear, cold and have opportunity to trout fish. Looks might fool you because it holds some substantial fish. You'll also have a 35 minute drive to the Neversink below the dam. It's also going to be cool and provide opportunities to catch nice trout. Lastly, you'll be 45 minutes from Hancock where the EB and WB form the main. Continue on 17 for another 10 minutes to Deposit and you can fish the no kill section just below the RT 17 bridge. The water will be 45 degrees so wear thermal pants. The west could also suffer an algae bloom which makes it all but unfishable.

Upper east resembles a chalk stream or spring creek. Flat water, spooky fish and the toughest of the bunch. Neversink is a higher gradient and more like streams in our area. The west is in between.

Still, my best suggestion is to give Dennis a call. He can be a little gruff but he knows his stuff.

Catskill Flies, Inc.
Stewart Avenue
Roscoe, New York 12776

Thank you so much for all the information!
Very, very helpful.

Roscoe is full of fly shops. Catskill Flies is a good one, but for an old school approach see Joe Fox at Dette's Flyshop, America's oldest. Beaverkill Angler and Baxter House are also fine, and I think Frank Kutter just south on Beaverkill Rd may still be open for another slice of local history. He tied a nice Katterman.

Tailwaters are one summer option, as is heading up into the headwaters if the lower rivers are warm. I like the upper Willowemoc around the village of Willowemoc because it's small enough to stay cool, but is not too tiny. Mostly small brookies with an occasional brown. They will take anything properly presented. Nothing public on the Beaverkill until you get way up into the forest land where it is a tiny tickle.

For the tailwaters, bring lots of sulphurs of all varieties. The fish see sulphurs every day of the summer and can get picky. Olives will hatch on the Upper East Branch as well.

you're on the upper beaverkill. The stretch on the campground is stocked pretty well and will have some trout. Right at the covered bridge should have trout rising. Your closest best bets for big fish would be either the lower beaverkill downstream from roscoe, or the upper east branch de river along rt 30 from downsville to east branch. The east branch is tougher but a better river in my opinion. Krayfish is Right on with his advice and reference to Dennis at catskill flies.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. I've promised my wife I won't fish all day, but it'll be nice to be stream side and able to get down to the river pretty easily.

Back