Has anyone...

mjkraw

mjkraw

Ever fished Halter Creek in Blair county? Is it open to the public? Any info would be appreciated.

Halter and Plum were surveyed a couple years back showing great populations of wild trout. Not sure if they were put on the class A list yet. As for public fishing I'm not sure, would also be interested in finding out more up to date info regarding these two streams as well.

PMs are welcome if anyone is uneasy about posting info in this thread.

Thanks Afishinado. Appreciate it!

If you are worried about finding public access, there is a park called Shawnee Park near where Halter Creek and Cabbage Creek meet. It's near the village of Roaring Spring.

hey mjkraw,

I live fairly close and drive through all the time. There is a lot of private property on Plum, mostly farms. I'm sure if you ask nicely there are some who would let you access on their property. I have scouted it out from the road a few times but haven't quite made it in the water yet since it's been late in the year. Water does look great though. Typical small stream limestoner. I have a friend who has caught some nice browns within.

Halter can be accessed from the papermill. I have not fished it yet either, but my brother has and told me it is decent.

Where they combine the water gets even bigger, and it seems to run warm because it has had open water every time I have seen it this winter, but haven't been past since the real bad cold has set in.

If you want to explore it and try sometime, let me know, maybe we could meet up and check some spots out. If you get to it before me, let me know how you do. I will post back here once I give it a shot as it warms up with any more information.

I drive right past both streams on my way to yellow creek - but have never tried them.
Halter creek seems to have good access where route 36 runs along side it - I've never seen any posted signs there.

Yes the access is good there, just not much as far as parking other than business parking lots. You can park above and fish down it though.

Back