Harmans Sun-Tues

Biggie

Biggie

Anyone on the board heading down to Harman's this Sun thru Tues.? Canceled my first Salmon River trip of the year with the low water up there. Had to get away somewhere and booked the last cabin at Harman's that was available. If I can't fish down there, at least the scenery is great and I know the accomodations are first rate.

The wife and I have reservations there for mid October. Let me know what you think. It will be out first time staying there. Just saw on their Facebook page that they are stocking fish tomorrow so the water must be up.

The wife and I will be there from Oct 8 thru 11 its our 5th trip there theres nothing like coming off the stream into a nice hot tub or jacuzzi. The fishing has been great when we have been there.

Good Luck guys, I'm looking to go the last week of September so any info/ reports would be great.
Buffalo

My wife and I will be down there towards the end of September as well. Never been down that way before and am really looking forward to it. Have read nothing but great reviews.

Looks like I have a chance to fish in the remenants of the storm on Mon or Tues. Right now the river is at 22 and normal is around 42. So they could use some rain, just not too much.

Let us know how everything goes, Biggie. Have a good time.

Was wondering how you did. It looks like you got some rain which should have helped the fishing.

Spent the holiday weekend at Harmans. Fished on Sunday eve, most of the day on Monday, and a couple of hours on Tues. The water was running between 50-60 cfs. This was a little above normal for the dates, but it looked pretty low to me. The WT was in the low 70's, too warm for trout around here,but since these are stockies I didn't feel too bad about fishing. Anyway, the only areas where the fish were interested in biting was the fast pocket water and I found plenty of will takers. As you will see in the pic, the wading amongst the larger boulders was pretty tough on my legs and knees (I'm getting older too). Most fish grabbed a chartruse green weenie as it hit the water. With an olive crayfish and an olive bugger taking a fair share of fish. Most of the trout were nice sized bows and a few smaller browns thrown in. Did catch one brown of about 15 or 16". The very large hole down near my cabin #7 has a nice spring seeping in and there were at least 100 trout stacked up about 5 feet from shore. There were many bows in there that were well over 20". I never made it up stream further than cabin #15. That deep hole held many trout, but with the warm and slow moving water, the trout were not in the mood to feed. All in all it was another great trip down there and my wife and I hate to leave when it's time to go. Also on Monday, there were 5 eagles flying around near our cabin as we sat on the screened in porch just taking it easy. When the water cools down, the fishing will be great, if fishing for stockies in not beneath your taste. I had a good time, and hardly saw another fisherman the entire weekend. Let's see if I can get a pic or two up. Thes two pictures are the same stretch of the river just up from the bridge. One is the 1700 flow and the other is the 53 flow. Not much wading at 1700.

Attachments

• September 4 2012 008.JPG
    September 4 2012 008.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 3
  • Harmans 2012 043.JPG
    Harmans 2012 043.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the report! I'll post one after our trip down there in October.

I'll be down there next weekend. I'm also new to fly fishing as I just started in April. What kind of flies do you recommend for this time of year, and also are there any places to take the wife out to eat or is it a bring your own food kinda area? Looks pretty remote from the pictures. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to get some pictures and let you guys know how I do.

There are places to eat not too far away. However, when I went down there with my wife and kids, it was so much easier and cheaper to bring our own food and have a cookout with the kids in the evening. Lunchtime I was lucky enough to be summoned by my wife while I was on the water it was time to eat.

Pretty much what Becker said about the food. It was nice to have food there and not have to quit fishing early to get to a resturant before closing time. Plue the wife could eat when she wanted and I ate when I came off the water.....Mainly you should use your standard flies for freshly stocked fish ie. egg patterns, buggers and the best bet is the chartruse green weenie in a large size. You will have a good time and yes the area is remote, but Petersburg is around 10 miles away. They have a PizzaHut, a Dairy Queen and................wait for it................a SHEETZ!...........second thought..........take food and don't forget breakfast stuff........good luck

Nothing better then waking up early and fishing for two or three hours, then having your wife and kids great you on stream with bacon and eggs. Lol

Hmm..yeah sounds like bringing food is the best bet. Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait til we leave. Hopefully the water conditions are ok.

I am really enjoying these reports please keep them coming.
Finally got the time off from work and all the single bedroom cottages are booked for the weekend of 27 Oct.
SH#T
Buffalo

We did a Sunday-Tues in the spring. It's the best days for me to be off work plus its nice to travel when it's not Friday or Saturday. Just booked Nov 4-6! Whoohoo!!!

Thanks for the good information. We stocked August 23rd in preperation for labor day weekend.

We are stocking again this week 9/18/2012 , and hoping water levels improve with rain coming this week.

The two spots summer holders survive are
(1) cabin #7 at the spring hole.
(2) cabin #15 at the bottom right in front of the deck on the other side of the river.

Sounds like I'm going to hit it just right since I'll be there this weekend. Hopefully my 5 year anniversary won't get in the way too much ;)

Crossing my fingers for a bit o rain before we arrive with good water levels.

Water levels have improved with weekend rain. We will be stocking over 1300lbs of trout over the next few days. The trout size will vary between 1 and 4 lbs.

Here is the water guage on the North Fork River.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01606000

Back