Got Humiliated by the Tulpehocken Today

trevor

trevor

I'm pretty new to fly fishing for trout, especially on bigger water like the Tulpehocken. I got there around 9:30 this morning and fished until 2:30. I got one nice brown trout on a size 16 CDC caddis, but that was it. I caught that fish about 30 minutes into the day, and didn't get another bite after that. I realize that fishing probably would have been much better earlier or later, but I fished when I could. After the first half hour, the fish stopped rising - although there were a good amount of bugs throughout the day. I fished between Gring's Mill and the covered bridge. And tips on what I could have done better? I did try a few different small nymphs and even a wooly bugger once the fish stopped rising, but to no avail.

Tips on what you could have done better?

Choose a waterway, when fishing for trout, that stays cool on hot summer days.

There was no problem with the temperature near the gauge today,,but flow increased by about 150 cfs in the hour when you started. Higher flow alone may have been your problem from a fishing technique perspective; however,,the fish may have moved on you just as you got started. Trout positioning changes substantially in the Tully in response to changes in flow.

That's why it's called "Fishin" not "Catchin".

Tully fish get POUNDED on a daily basis. They become paranoid and will false rise to naturals. It can be painfully tough some days. It's all about drift on that stream. If you can see the fish you're trying for, watch how he reacts to the presentation. If you get several drifts that you believe are good and the fish ignores your offering, change patterns. You'll also want to very carefully observe the feeding of the fish. Many times they appear to be rising but are actually feeding just under the surface on pupa or emergers. Stay with it.

Fishing on the Tully sucked today for one reason: They started releasing water around 8:00 this morning (when I happened to step into the stream). I knew the stream was cooked for the day. I stuck it out for an hour or so, but I was kidding myself. I saw 2 fish rise. I've been fishing the Tully since the late 70's, and this is a common experience when the flow increases as drastically as today.

outsider wrote:
Fishing on the Tully sucked today for one reason: They started releasing water around 8:00 this morning (when I happened to step into the stream). I knew the stream was cooked for the day. I stuck it out for an hour or so, but I was kidding myself. I saw 2 fish rise. I've been fishing the Tully since the late 70's, and this is a common experience when the flow increases as drastically as today.

+1

Yeah, I figured that they must have released water right as I got there. It's a long drive for me, so I just tried to enjoy the chance to fish. Thanks for the replies guys.

Trevor, pm me if you like, I can give you a few tips for fishing the Tully in the future.

Back