Gettysburg Fishing July 2nd-8th

PatriotFly26

PatriotFly26

Heading down to the 150th Gettysburg Reenactment. Taking a long week off work and plan on doing some fly fishing down there in the Gettysburg area. I've fished the Conewago before, and I've been told to steer clear at this time of the year.
I'm interested in fishing YB for the first time, and I'm wondering about access/fishing, whether I should, or whether anyone has another recommendation for either trout or bass on the fly in a stream roughly within 30-45mins of the Gettysburg area. I believe I spoke with Fishidiot last time about a trip down in that area. Thank you for all your help, Tight Lines!

P.S. Looking for some easier wading for my father, if possible. Thanks Again guys, keep up the great work!

Yellow Breeches is right about at your 45 min cutoff and should fish well in the restricted waters, either early morning or evening. Focus on the section around Allenberry Playhouse in Boiling Springs, both upstream and down. Easy access to this section.

Second choice would be Big Spring Creek in Newville and/or Falling Spring in Chambersburg.

Finally, if you want a challenge, the Letort is in Carlisle. Not easy access, however.

Trout fishing is getting tough down here due to summer temps.

Forget about the streams in the immediate area - they're burnt. As Letort said, Breeches is at the outer range of 45 minutes but water temps are warm there too and are now over 70 in the afternoon. The Run in Boiling Springs however, will have cold water and will be easy for your father. The section where it comes into Breeches stays cool for a distance below the confluence.... but will require your dad to wade across a riffle about 50' across and a foot deep with cobble rock (you have to cross at this point due to a canyon wall). If you do hit Breeches, bring your thermometer, focus on The Run and main stem in the early morning and you may find decent water temps as the weather has cooled the last few days.
Big Spring is about 55-60 minutes from Gburg; Letort is 45 and Falling Sp is about 30 and all these will be cold. FS has some decent spots that don't require wading and are fairly accessible. Another option within (barely) the 45 min range would be Codorus Lake for WW species or Codorus Creek for trout but Codorus Creek is tough to wade.

+1 for Codorus Creek (TT section)...as Fishidiot indicated wading can be a challenge but there are also spots near the road that provide decent access for folks with limited mobility.

I would say that from G'burg, the best option would be Codorus Creek, TT Section. The water will be cold (very cold) and chances are the water level will be down which makes wading it that much easier. The last few times I've been there, portions of the stream bed have been exposed, so wading/walking hasn't been a challenge. The Hanover area has gotten hit with some decent rains lately, so it's possible the flow could be up a bit (higher dam release?). Hands down, the nice thing about the Codorus is it is a wild brown fishery and it stays cold all summer long. There are some stretches of the Codorus that are fairly easy to wade (improvement section, etc.).

Thanks a bunch guys, pops was down there and got into a few fish on Yellow Breeches, unfortunately work had me sidelined for this trip. He had a great time and has talked about wanting to head back down in the spring. If we do make the trip I'll let ya know, I'd love to meet a few of you if ya'll don't mind fly fishing with a couple Adirondack Rebels. Tight Lines!

Back