Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Gallatin River

From Chadds Ford, PA
May have a chance to stay in a house right on this river near Bozeman in July/August. How would you guys rate it as compared with other Montana streams?

Posted on: 2012/12/20 20:56

Re: Gallatin River

From harlansburg
uh, it's a river in montana, and you have a chance to stay on it, even if it's the worst river in montana, it's still better than ANYTHING here in PA.
in other words, GO!

Posted on: 2012/12/20 21:14

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Haha Biker, that was my exact thought. I heard there are only chubs and suckers in the Gallatin. You should PM JayL for info.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 21:20

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Chadds Ford, PA
Read plenty about it, but was looking for a comparison. Understand your point, Biker. Becker.....JayL.....please. He probably thinks he owns the damn river.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 21:24

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Well then he should be able to help you.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 21:26

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

I haven't fished it near Bozeman but have fished it in the park and as far north as Taylor's Fork. Excellent fishing, good hatches, hoppers and other terrestrials. Fish aren't super huge (a least not the ones I caught) but are plentiful and spunky.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 22:05

From Pittsburgh
Its good, not great. Easy access, although this is because 191 (truck traffic) runs parellel to. Beautiful drive, but fast. I managed a few dozen mid-sized browns on a hopper dropper rig in a lazy days fishing. Fun to fish your way from Bozeman to Yellowstone. Its popular so expect rafts and other fisherman.

Bozeman is an hour from the Madison (Ennis area). Here you will find bigger trouts.

Bozeman is a half hour from Livingston. Here you will find bigger trouts and spring creeks (with bigger trouts).

If your stay is long enough, plan to fish more than just the Gallitan but fish the Gallatin. Stop at Troutfitters in Bozeman. http://troutfitters.com/

Posted on: 2012/12/20 23:50

I lived five miles away for 30 years.
Seldom fished it after the first five as Yellowstone and Madison are both within 20 miles.
However the part up the canyon[south ] would be a very comfortable place to fish for someone use to Pa. waters.Very pretty up there also.
The bigger rivers can be a little intimidating and frustrating for first timers.
If you have local friends by all means try them all.
plus tribs to the Gallatin can be fun and some really beautiful lakes up the Canyon.
you will enjoy-sounds like you will be there for salmon fly hatch.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 8:07

From LV
There are no natives there, even though it's well documented that natives were there. So if natives are your thing, find some other places to fish alone with the Galatin.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 8:38

From Chester County
No native cutties, Chaz but lotsa small to medium wild browns & bows. As Pete said, beautiful area and a good warm-up for the bigger rivers close by.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 8:44

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'm planning a trip in July to visit with Jay, once I put my research in on the streams of that area maybe we can compare notes.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 13:44

Visted Montana for the first time back in July. Of the 4 rivers I had a chance to fish, the Gallatin was my favorite. We did very well
caught lots of hard fighting rainbows and browns and a few cutts in the upper end, most in the 8-12"range but we did catch some larger ones. The best were 2 browns in the 20" range. Beautiful water, highly recommend.

We saw lots of rafters in the lower to middle section canyon sections. They would float through in pods of 10 rafts every 1/2 hour or so. The fish did not seem to mind. My favorite section was the upper portion near the Yellowstone entrance. Very meadowy beautiful area.

Even though the road was nearby I kept looking over by shoulder expecting to see a grizzly charging toward me.

You cant fish into the park without an additional Park License so we didnt bother. We didnt see that many other anglers but I think thats considered crowded by Montana standards.

We were their the last week of July and had luck with the following.

8:00am-10:30am Spruce Moth dry- heavy
afternoon- Prince and Stoneflys nymphs
Evening- PMD/sulfer-16-18.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 14:36

Fish the East Gallatin and get a beer at Stacys.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 20:32

From Pittsburgh
I spent a little time on it once while driving between the bighorn and yellowstone area.
Very pretty stream for sure - but then so is just about any place out west IMO.
Caught lots of smallish fish, and we didn't hang around very long. Lots of better streams, that aren't very far away IMO

Posted on: 2012/12/22 8:42

I bicycled along it from the park to the Bozeman area. Nice river, nice habitat, which is much more readily seen from a bike than a car. Would have loved to have had the time to fish it. My recollection is that parts of it become warm during some summers and it is one of the rivers on which MT requires that all fishing terminate by a certain time of day during those particular summers. Others may be able to fill you in on this.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 9:37

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com