Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

French Creek, Chester Co. St Peters

If you miss fall fishing in the C&R FFO Area, it was not the only game in town. As I have mentioned to anglers at various times, all one need do is fish from Warwick Park, where I have heard in the past there are trout throughout the summer (have not verified this) to the upper stocking limit in the SGL. The stream holds spring stocked trout through the summer. Although that seems improbable to some anglers in a stream where bait fishing is allowed, it is true. I stood on the St Peters foot bridge today and watched a SMB and two trout moving about in the pool below. Years ago when we extended the upper stocking limit from St Peters Rd upstream into the SGL for about a half mile or so, we did so because we found holdover RT in summer or fall that had moved that far upstream and were in beautiful condition.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:19

Re: French Creek, Chester Co. St Peters

From LV
I can attest to the fact that the water at St. Peters is cold during the summer.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 9:59

Coventryville Trout Club, of which I am a member, stocks Warwick Park and other areas upstream so that also explains the presence of those salmonids.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 11:08

From Ephrata, PA
Good to know! I'm slowly getting my daughter into camping, and French Creek isn't too far from the thriving metropolis of Ephrata. My wife and I have discussed going to French Creek for camping for quite some time.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 12:33

From SE Pa
What does "SGL" stand for ? Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 18:03

From Gettysburg
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
What does "SGL" stand for ? Thanks.

State Game Lands

Posted on: 2013/9/20 19:11

From SE Pa
Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 23:08

From Media Pa
Fished the section along Hollow Road from the covered bridge to the Sheeder Mill Road bridge with my son yesterday. Nothing but fall fish. This was my first time fishing French Creek and unless other sections are different I don't think I will ever fish it again. The stream bottom is so rock strewn that it may be the hardest wading stream I have ever encountered. Also the ingress egress of this section was almost impossible. Although there is a set of stairs in the parking area at the intersection of Hollow and Sheeder Mill Rds they are very very steep for an old guy like me. When we left I walked out to the middle of the covered bridge and saw a lot of trout/suckers under the bridge. The water under the bridge was 61.11 degrees.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 12:26

From Chester County
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Fished the section along Hollow Road from the covered bridge to the Sheeder Mill Road bridge with my son yesterday. Nothing but fall fish. This was my first time fishing French Creek and unless other sections are different I don't think I will ever fish it again. The stream bottom is so rock strewn that it may be the hardest wading stream I have ever encountered. Also the ingress egress of this section was almost impossible. Although there is a set of stairs in the parking area at the intersection of Hollow and Sheeder Mill Rds they are very very steep for an old guy like me. When we left I walked out to the middle of the covered bridge and saw a lot of trout/suckers under the bridge. The water under the bridge was 61.11 degrees.

Fade,

The FFO-CR area on French gets very warm in the summer. I wouldn't expect many or any trout to survive in that stretch. It's really a spring through early summer fishing place since it won't be stocked again by the FBC until the spring (usually late February).

Posted on: 2013/10/1 8:06

Unfortunately, and sadly, French Creek is almost entirely put and take. Further upstream you can find fish in Warwick Park as the Club stocks there periodically but it is hit and miss. Going to Valley or maybe the Tulpehocken are the most attractive options in my Chesco neck of the woods. And the Little Lehigh is worth the 40 drive up Route 100.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 17:44

From Media Pa
Would like input from you guys as to whether you agree it is a hard wading stream

Posted on: 2013/10/1 21:58

From Chester County
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Would like input from you guys as to whether you agree it is a hard wading stream

Fairly easy wading.

I'm afraid old age has caught up with you, Buddy!

Consider one of these...........

Attach file:

jpg  Fishin chair.jpg (109.32 KB)
53_524bfae00bbdf.jpg 500X333 px

Posted on: 2013/10/2 6:52

From Media Pa
I thought Maurice was the only MOD alowed to be a wise ass

Posted on: 2013/10/4 12:00

From Lebanon
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Good to know! I'm slowly getting my daughter into camping, and French Creek isn't too far from the thriving metropolis of Ephrata. My wife and I have discussed going to French Creek for camping for quite some time.

Bear in mind squatch sightings are rare in those parts, so you might get a bit more attention there that you normally would in rural parts of PA.

None the less it is a nice place to camp. Fishing is pretty good to, and I am familiar with some places, but you I don't want to get reviled for "spot burn"....

Posted on: 2013/10/4 16:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com