Frankstown Branch / Juniata Main Near Huntingdon Float Trips

NewSal

NewSal

I'm familiar with both rivers, the Frankstown and the main stem of the Juniata, but I'm not at all familiar with float times.

I'm looking for advice on put in / take out points for a 3-4 hour float on either the frankstown branch, or the main stem near Huntingdon.

Anyone?

Sal, I’ve never floated either, but times vary greatly depending on the amount of fishing you intend to do. I think PA water trails may be is some help. It’s basically how interesting is the water, and how hard will you fish it.

I think you just have to pick a relatively short float and see how it fits your style. Adjust from there.

DaveS wrote:
Sal, I’ve never floated either, but times vary greatly depending on the amount of fishing you intend to do. I think PA water trails may be is some help. It’s basically how interesting is the water, and how hard will you fish it.

I think you just have to pick a relatively short float and see how it fits your style. Adjust from there.

Here is a link to the Upper J Water Trail

Lotsa launches and take-outs on the river.

Good advice from DaveS above. Choose a relatively short float and you can stop and fish and take your time. A longer float may require you to paddle your way down to the take-out and cut into your actual fishing time.

Good luck on your trip. post a report.

I'm not at all familiar with either of rivers in question, at least from a float fishing standpoint. I have though floated virtually everything that could reasonably be float fished in the Allegheny drainage (as well as some I had no business trying to float..) and I think you're getting good advice here so far. If you are a little bit overly conservative in your guesstimate of how much water you can cover in the time you allot, you can always fish some of it more thoroughly to make up the difference. Vice versa doesn't work so well for this.

As a general rule of thumb, we usually figured about 3/4 of a mile/hour on smaller water (say Frankstown Br. size..). This builds in a little bypass time for non-productive water. For larger rivers like the full Allegheny on the west edge of the ANF, we cut this back to 1/2 mile an hour or less.

Just a suggestion. A lot will depend on water type and how thoroughly you intend to fish the water.

Thanks for all of the replies, I should have clarified, this will be a non-fishing float. I fish very often, and am taking a female friend out just for a nice river float - not worrying about doing any fishing, just floating. Thats the reason I asked for relative float times - I thought it possible some folks have floated the river or some like it before for pure recreation and had an idea on about how many miles you can cover in 4 hours or so. I'm looking at a stretch thats about 10 miles long, I'm not sure if thats too long or too short to fill 4 hours. We'll stop for lunch but no fishing.
Thanks again for the responses so far, sorry for the vagueness - I should have clarrified.

3/4 of a mile and hour for fishing as Rleep says - Im assuming I can double that just floating, or just about double it. So 10 miles sounds doable in 4 hours? Or am I still off you guys think? I dont think it matters but we will be floating in kayaks.

NewSal wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies, I should have clarified, this will be a non-fishing float. I fish very often, and am taking a female friend out just for a nice river float - not worrying about doing any fishing, just floating. Thats the reason I asked for relative float times - I thought it possible some folks have floated the river or some like it before for pure recreation and had an idea on about how many miles you can cover in 4 hours or so. I'm looking at a stretch thats about 10 miles long, I'm not sure if thats too long or too short to fill 4 hours. We'll stop for lunch but no fishing.
Thanks again for the responses so far, sorry for the vagueness - I should have clarrified.

3/4 of a mile and hour for fishing as Rleep says - Im assuming I can double that just floating, or just about double it. So 10 miles sounds doable in 4 hours? Or am I still off you guys think? I dont think it matters but we will be floating in kayaks.

Just paddling, 10 miles in 4 hours is no problem for the average kayaker. Have a good time.

Canoeing, about 2 miles per hour is a good estimate.

I don't know if kayaking would be much different.

You could float the FB from Williamsburg to the r to t lot just below Water Street. Put in and take out should be pretty easy, theres r to t lots right on the river at both. Thats probably 11-13 miles though, if your paddling fairly consistently i would estimate 4-4.5 hours on the water, depending on water levels. Hope this helps.

Main Juniata: Confluence of JR with the Raystown Branch to Mapleton sounds about right. A lovely stretch of river.

You can put it at my place and float down..or you can put in at mcveytown and float to my place. Pm if you'd like the address. It is about 30 minutes below Huntingdon.

I’ve done the float from JFigz house down to the PAFBC ramp. It’s pretty nice especially for beginners. The frankstown branch is probably much more scenic but it was nice in its own right. Took about 5 hours while fishing so you would want to extend that down to lewistown just for paddling.

This is all fantastic stuff, I knew I could get awesome replies from you guys.
jfigz - Ill keep you in mind, and I'm very appreciative of the offer. I'm keeping my eye on water/weather and will decide which weekend I am going, if weather and water pans out I'm looking at August 4-5 (not this weekend but next)

Again - thanks alot guys, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Are you fishing on this float or just floating/kayaking/tubing for fun? If you are fishing then the fishing is much better once that actual main river forms at the confluence of the Raystown branch and Frankstown branch at point access. If you're just floating for fun another decent option would be from Corbin's Island to Point Access. The fishing in there isn't all that great however. For fishing I'd absolutely suggest any float from Point Access downstream.

Back