Fowlers Hollow State Park

gweisinger

gweisinger

I'm looking to plan a trip to Fowlers Hollow State Park this Spring and I wanted to know if there is any wild trout fishing in the vicinity. Anybody have any experience in this area?

Yeah, there's wild streams in the area. Haven't fished it, but it's an area I've researched pretty extensively, and is on my list for a weekend trip to explore. Check out the PFBC Natural Reproduction list for Perry County and cross reference with a map of Fowlers Hollow SP or Tuscarora SF...you'll likely turn up something. Expect small, steep, and brushy streams...Brookies mostly up there probably.

I'm pretty sure the stream thru the park is stocked, probably has brookies further up. Schaeffer Run (sp?) is in the area and is under Brook Trout Enhancement Regs, lots of other hollers and streams to explore also.

Get the Tuscarora State Forest map. Just call their office, they'll send you a free map. Then just pick small, untocked streams on the map within the state forest.

Really good sound advice on all of the above posts. Use the above mentioned resources for doing some research and find yourself a drainage to explore. There are lots of opportunities in that area and some really gorgeous country. You'll get a whole lot more satisfaction out of finding your own "honey hole". Good luck, but don't let us know how you do. ;-)

Give us a report on how many rattlers you see..........or hear!

Fished that area a bunch. Almost every stream in that drainage has brookies in them. Pick i blue trickle on the map an have at it. Almost guaranteed to catch fish. Ill be it small, but wild. Some of the bigger streams are stocked in areas, but have a good number of bigger wild fish also.

Pm me with any questions.

Thanks a bunch. Looks like this ones going to be a weekend stop for the RV. Appreciate all the info.

Agreed - it's a great area with a wealth of trout fishing opportunities. Perry County is under-rated and has some very rugged country with great fishing and hiking.

I lived in Perry county for 12 years , that area is one of the most beautiful in the state , most of that above the town of Blaine is Shermans creek watershed. The trout fishing there is real good just about anything you pick , do some exploring. Above New Germantown , which is where Fowlers Hollow is can't be much better. While you are there i suggest you visit the Hemlock Natural Scenic Area , a virgin stand of huge hemlocks , that has a plunge pool trout stream running straight up and down through it. The fishing is tough , more like mountain climbing , but very good. HAVE FUN !!!!!!!! And enjoy some of the purtiest contry in the state.....watch out for the Amish Mafia.

+1 osprey love the country up there! Great area to fish!

Back