Fly Fishing Sanibel Island, Florida 12/26/12

gaeronf

gaeronf

My father and I went on a fishing trip out of Sanibel Island in the hopes to get some redfish. Our (fantastic) guide was Paul, and although I didn't catch any fish (my bad casting) my dad caught a couple sea trout. He was spin fishing, and I was using the fly rod. It was really windy when we saw the tailing reds, so that's where I had trouble. Anyway, check out the video, I made it with my new GoPro. Let me know what you think. And yes, I know most of you will hate the music. Tip: Go to youtube and watch it in HD. It makes a difference in my opinion.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyXf5FCKock&feature=share&list=UUqzstpnmBfRpMQZHNYNwe5g[/youtube]

Neat video Gaeron!

Thanks for the vicarious trip to sunny Florida - a much needed escape for us poor guys up here in windy, snowy, PA. Some warm, shallow saltwater is definitely the perfect fix. :)

I'm super jealous, even if you didnt catch anything. Beats being cold and not catching anything! Thanks for the video.

Sanibel is beautiful, was there a few years ago but did not have fly gear with me. One morning my Dad and I rented spinning gear and a motorboat at one place and I caught one redfish in four hours- certainly would not have caught any on fly gear.

I've always wanted to do fishing videos with a go pro, I should have gotten one of them instead of the camera i have now!

thanks for showing us what sunshine looks like! I think I could even smell the salt!

Nice video. I love Sanibel Island. My parents live nearby and I make a trek down there every year in March. I can't wait to go again!!

I have had decent success there. We rented kayaks one year and cruised in the back bays. I managed to hook into 3 Snook and lost them all because of my light tippet. Found many tailing Reds, but managed to spook them all. They are tough to catch. You need to approach them like a spring creek trout for sure. Accurate casting and patience are key. Also saw a Manatee one year. I have heard that the snook will cruise in close on the beaches in the summer months, but I never had success on the Gulf side of the island in March. Great place.

Great report! Winter makes for tough fishing here as the water clears and the grass goes dormant. Long casts with a fly rod are tough, but needed for spooky fish.
CLS, leaders are usually ,40,30, and20 lb test from butt to tip. Snook have a sharp gillplate that's tough on leaders. GG

GG,

Yup. I learned the hard way with Snook. I think I had 8 lb. test tippet on and each fish snapped the line quickly. I am still learning the fishing down there . . .

I toured the sanctuary there once about 20 years ago saw an alligator the was over 15 feet long. Nice video.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I sure had a blast even though I came up empty-handed. And to me the fish were pretty spooky, and I'm kind of clumsy...so that's something to work on.

Back