Floating the Conestoga River

NickR

NickR

Hey guys, I am not a new poster but used to post under the screen name Nickyboy but changed my screen name and will now be posting under the name NickR. I am fortunate to know some of you guys but there are so many of you that I have not met. I look forward to new opportunities to fish with some of you guys and share our knowledge together.

Anyone familiar with floating the Conestoga River? I just want to see if there is an interest from any forum members here to float it at some point. It might be helpful for me to have someone who knows the water a little better than me because I don't know if I will have issues running into private property or water that is dangerous to float.

I would be using a one man pontoon boat to float.

Dear Nick,

I honestly cannot help you with information about floating the Conestoga but I will be reading this thread hoping to glean some information.

If I were to float the river I'd do in a 17' Novacraft Prospector canoe. I'd be willing to float with a partner who knows the river better because all I've ever done on the Conestoga is wade fish.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

nick, pm me i have floated it from ephrata to the mouth at safe harbor....you will be fine and alot of good fishing

Yes.

The Conestoga River is not a river. First you must understand this. Its a big creek really and like a big creek, its shallow in many areas. Anyone planning to float the river should avoid deep well boats.
Your gonna want something that can skim the surface.

Next I would get the SEPA region guide brochure. You can get them a Commission office or go to this link. The publications are free and handy. The Conestoga is in the SEPA one and will show you were all the boat launches and dams are. The upper Conestoga gets tricky and it has many dams along the old farms.

Good Luck! I would love to hear how you make out!

I've floated it from Millersville to the mouth. It's easy enough and if you go on a weekend, you won't be alone. that's a pretty popular float. There are some bony sections that you'll likely have to drag/wade. IMO, the river fishes best when the flow is at or below 350cfs on the gauge below Lancaster. Higher than that, the floating is easier, but the fishing slows.

Don't be fooled by the comment that it's just a big creek. It's a river and should be respected as such. I ALWAYS wear a PFD while floating it. I may look like a geek to the bikini clad coeds, but I'm okay with that....

The Conestoga can be a good float. There are some easy access points to put in and take out at Peralman Park just off Rt. 23 down to Conestoga Pines Park next to the public swimming pool just off Pitney Road and Arthur E Morris Pkwy. This float has a variety of water from fast riffles to long deep stretches. It has one rocky crossing from an old damn removal at the waterfront restaurant just below Eden Rd. I've floated in kayaks(easiest), canoes and john-boats all about 5 hour floats. Schedule is jam packed or I'd go down with you. Brian, I have a yak usually available if you wanted to head out with him some time.

I would always recommend you wear a floating device when floating any body of water. What I meant was, pending on where you float the river, its not a river at all really and shallow riding boats are best, unless you like dragging a boat around.

Josh thats ok bud, next year is going to be awesome because I should have my boat and a troll motor. I am going to target those carp, musky and smallies like there is no tomorrow. I hooked into another 30 pounder awhile back. Hook let go and went right in my finger between the nail when I put my hand up to block my face. Painful, but man what a fight.

Josh gave the OP some good advice.

Good heads up and all but how many people do you know that actually float a river or creek in a deep draft boat anyway? When somebody says they're floating a river, images of a kayak, canoe, pontoon or raft come to mind.

Well back when I fished the Susquehanna in the 80's lots actually. Lots of people float that river in a V bottom. At least they used too.

Conestoga River is not a river like most that are called rivers in PA. Just the point I was driving at.

PM's sent. Thanks for the replies everybody. I think I am going to try and float it as soon as the weather starts to cool off a bit. Anybody is welcome to PM me if they would like to float it with me.

Back