Float/fish Pine gorge

171farm

171farm

Does anyone have any advise for floating and fishing the pine gorge? My father, brother, and I have been talking about doing a kayak float trip down the gorge for years and if we dont do it soon we probably never will.

Im looking for any info anyone would like to offer...put in take out, camping options, length of trip, nice areas to wet a fly...

As of now thinking about put in at Ansonia but not sure how far to go. Looking at at least and over night float/fish/camping excursion.

Thanks in advance

The canyon is 18 miles long between Ansonia and Blackwell - with one other access place at the midpoint called Tiadaughton, at which there is a campground.
The whole canyon can certainly be floated in 1 day, but a 2 day float would be more enjoyable, and leave a lot more time for fishing.
Besides overnighting at Tiadaughton, you can also camp primitively at many other points through the canyon with a permit from the DCNR.
I would recommend doing it in the spring time, when the water is up. Stream levels usually get very low during the summer and fall.
Fishing for trout is also best in the spring. It is well stocked by the state, and there are some tremendous hatches coming off then too.

I have all the info you would need here at the shop. middle of may to first week in june has the heavy hatches. Have had a few guys float it during late april as well. you can float it during the summer (normal) with a yak. better for bass then but can still find trout (they don't die off as some think) if ya come up stop by and we can give up to the minute reports during the season. I am in Ansonia across from the boat launch.

We've floated it a couple times, around the 3rd week of May or so. You can float from Ansonia to Blackwell and camp at the campsites at Tiadaghton. That makes a good weekend float.

We just pulled off somewhere and pitched a tent on state forest land, about halfway down, rather than camping at Tiadaghton.

We hit the Green Drake hatch there, and had good fishing for both trout and smallmouth.

It's a nice outing. Go for it!

I strongly suggest talking to Sandfly. He's a pro and has been up there for many years. I know him from many years ago when he worked for an Orvis franchise shop in the Doylestown area.

Here's the web site for his fly shop and then click on "about us."

Big Meadows Fly Shop

Dryflyguy has it right. That would be my advice as well. I will add this however; if you wish to float below the canyon area in the summer months you can stay at Pettecote Junction campground in Cedar Run and float downriver from there or use that as your takeout point. There are a few access points in Slate Run that make for a good day trip. That section will be all smallmouth fishing in the summer with maybe an occasional trout or two near the mouths of Cedar or Slate. You also have the option to fish those streams and a few brookie streams in the area too. I have kayaked that section in the late summer months and as long as the water is not too low you will be fine. It is an easy float.

Guy, thanks for all the help. This is great so far, keep up the good words!

I will definitely be in contact with some of you directly

This sounds like a great time. If you go, please give us the lowdown on you rexperience.

Here ya go. Tom will set you straight with decades(35 years) of experience and a willingness to make your stay a top notch experience. There are dozens of videos on his YouTube page.

Slate Run Tackle On YouTube

Thanks for the link, I will be sure to check it out.

I sure hope we make it this year...if we do I plan to take lots of photos and notes to pass on to anyone intersted

check your PM

I'd want 2.0 feet or higher on the Pine Creek at Cedar Run USGS Gage to float from Ansonia Route 6 Access to Blackwell (Rattlesnake Rock Access) You can do it lower than 2.0 feet but depending on your float craft it can get scrapy and may require the Flintstone technique (aka dragging your boat)

Late April through early June can be prime if the water levels and temps co-operate.

Back