Fishing on the Clarion River

M

Matt9191

I'm going to get out for my first fly fishing excursion this weekend. I'm going to fish the lower end of the Clarion River. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on patterns to use. I don't know about the hatch conditions up there.

If you are going to fish the lower end of the river don't expect to catch trout this time of year, expect smallmouth. Fish a black wolly bugger, or if you really want to fish dries, fish a stimulator.

Thanks, I was planning on hunting all day but I don't want to sweat in the stand so I'm fishing. Smallies would be fine, as long as I'm catching something on my fly rod I'm happy.

I have fished the Clarion River a lot. I went to college at Clarion and have fished the river in and above Cook Forest as well as at Piney Dam. I have never fished the trout section of the river that is further up stream. There is decent smallmouth to be had on the lower clarion and I'll second the bugger. That should connect with those fish. The dam can be difficult to fish but there are nice muskies and walleye as well as big largemouths in there...and a lot of perch.

Back