Fishing near Bucknell

Wildfish

Wildfish

I know Penns is in the area. If I'm on campus is there any chance I could sneak away for maybe an hour or two in the evening, or do I need to be further away from downtown to get on public land? I've never been to the area.

Also, for anyone out that way, what's hatching? Should I come with dries?

Penns isn't that close to Lewisburg. Can't help you with specific directions but White Deer should be close enough for a couple of hours of evening fishing. Near the junction of 15 and 80.

The lower end of the catch-and-release area on Penns Creek is only about 25 miles away. There are probably some people from Bucknell driving over there every evening this time of year. Ask around and see if there is a flyfishing club on campus.

Hah! I Googled it.
http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/sri/flyfishingclub/

The river has smallmouth and you can walk there.

I've been traveling back and forth to Lewisburg a lot recently, doing some informal chauffeur service for a family member. Went up Thursday, just got back last night.

It's basically an hour from Lewisburg to the C&R parking lot. You can knock about 10 minutes off that by parking at the first pull-out by the stream, which is about 1/2 mile below the beginning of the C&R section.

The other access point is in Coburn, which is another 45 minutes more.

What's hatching? As of 5/16: crane flies, gray caddis, March Browns, a few gray foxes, light cahillls and sulphurs. Nothing in serious quantities, but it could bust loose any day. There's often an evening rise right before sunset. Good luck figuring out to exactly what. Also an occasional gulper in the broad daylight hours. I got a couple of fish the previous week on something big and brown and fuzzy. But I'd keep some sulphurs on hand for the next few weeks. Especially emergers.

I've found the reports on stream conditions and hatches by Bruce Fisher at Penn's Creek Angler in Weikert to be spot-on, right down to the difference in stream conditions between the morning hours and the afternoon on May 11.

http://www.pennscreekangler.com/2010%20stream%20report.htm

I got three fish yesterday morning- a 12" smallmouth and two brownies- one around 8-9", and the other around 15-16". The creek was a little murky, although nowhere near as bad as it can be. It may have cleared up by now.

It's supposed to rain some next week- if it's just scattered showers, Penn's should stay in good shape. More than that, and it will mud up for a while.

Getting to Penn's via Weikert can be a little complicated, depending on the route. Check your Google Maps, set it for directions from Lewisburg to "Cherry Run, PA". Once you're on 3002 (Weikert Road), keep going west past the Sportsman's Club, then past the Penn's Creek Angler/Weikert Post Office about 4 miles. The C&R section parking lot is at the end of the road, about 3/4 mi. west of Cherry Run itself.

Thanks guys

Troutbert--i did check out the club site, but not much info there about hyper local streams. And I forgot to bring my copy of your book.

Barbless--much appreciated info! Sadly we may not have 2 hours to spend commuting. For some reason I thought there was water closer to the college. Maybe a brookie stream? I'll see if I can sneak away for longer.

Penn's itself runs to the susky and within 15 mins of campus. Is that area inaccessible/ unfishable

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Dear Wildfish,

White Deer Creek is closer than Penns. Head up Rte 15 towards Allenwood and about 1 mile north of I-80 turn left onto White Deer Pike. You'll have to drive a bit and go back under I-80 to get to the trouty water but it's not all that far.

If you go further north on Rte 15 you may want to try Spring Creek. Just turn on left onto Rte 44 and Spring creek will be found winding along Rte 44.

If you stay on Rte 44 to Elimsport you will eventually run into White Deer Hole Creek. It's worth checking out.

There are some nice ponds with bass and panfish on the State Gamelands around Allenwood Prison too.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

The lower end of Penns Creek is not stocked with trout. It has a reputation as being pretty good for smallmouth bass.

The lower end of Middle Creek is even closer. It's stocked with trout up above Middleburg, but in the lower end you are likely to catch warmwater fish.

Back