Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Fingerling stocking on Little Sandy? ( Venango County)

From Clarion co.
Me and a few others fished little sandy today and noticed a ton of small 5-6" browns near the pump house. We caught about ten and they all had banged up fins, so they are clearly stocked. Anyone know what's up with this? All I can think of is that they are excess hatchery fish, but why would they dump them in Little Sandy?

Posted on: 2012/11/23 14:25

Edited by Cornholio on 2012/11/23 14:47:42

Re: Fingerling stocking on Little Sandy? ( Venango County)

From Ohio
Interesting. I noticed the stream wasn't on the stocking list for this fall(I didn't check the fingerling list though), but I know in one of the PFBC reports on their site said the stream was stocked(assuming adult fish) the same day as Oil. I haven't fished it this fall yet.

There are wild fish in there though, I've gotten a wild brown and 2 brookies there in the past, and I'm sure the people who know the stream better catch more. If they just quit stocking all together and fix up the stream a little I'm sure that will help the wild fish.

Fwiw I think they also fingerling stocked W. Br. Caldwell.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 14:47

Here's the list of 2012 fingerling stockings.

http://fishandboat.com/stock_fingerling.htm

Little Sandy Cr and Caldwell Cr are on there.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 14:55

From Clarion co.
There are lots of wild trout in Little Sandy Brooks, Browns and even some Bows. i wish they would stop stocking it and do some stream improvements. I guess fingerlings are better than adult stockies. Atleast they can mature in the stream and become semi-wild.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 18:59

Those two streams are two of the four or five C & R FFO areas in which fing stockings have replaced adult stockings through 2015 as an experiment in the success or failure of such stockings. All except Donegal are being stocked with browns. All fish are fin clipped for easy ID.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 21:56

Quote:

Mike wrote:
Those two streams are two of the four or five C & R FFO areas in which fing stockings have replaced adult stockings through 2015 as an experiment in the success or failure of such stockings. All except Donegal are being stocked with browns. All fish are fin clipped for easy ID.

According to the PFBC website the following C&R FFO areas will get fingerling stockings (if I read it right):

Little Sandy Creek, Caldwell Cr, Donegal Cr, White Deer Cr, Green Spring Cr.

Does this mean that fingerling stocking will replace adult stockings on all these? Or will some of these streams continue to be stocked with adult trout, as well as with fingerlings?

Posted on: 2012/11/26 22:24

From Clarion co.
Fwiw, I noticed some fresh adult stockies in Little Sandy too.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 22:30

From harlansburg
the local TU chapter may throw some fish in there also, but like others have said, why? that stream has some great wild trout fishing, need to quit the stocking and let people learn how to catch real fish. plenty of other marginal creeks around that people can fish for stockies.
saying that, I do know there are some browns in there that would happily eat those fingerlings!

Posted on: 2012/11/27 6:05

Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
the local TU chapter may throw some fish in there also

Or, they may not.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 8:27

From Parkesburg
I think fingerling stocking sounds like a great idea on Donegal and Green Spring. I don't know the other streams mentioned very well.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 8:53

From Gettysburg
Fingerling stockings have always seemed to me to be something that should be expanded, even if on an experimental basis. Truthfully, fingerling programs have had very mixed success in PA and aren't anything new. In some streams around here, like the lower Letort, they did very well. In other local creeks, like Big Spring and Yellow Breeches.....they failed. Nevertheless, they're worth trying.

I checked on the fingerlings in Green Spring last week. They're still there after several weeks, although the herons have been on 'em. I'll check from time to time over the winter - will be interesting to see if a decent number will hold over.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 8:58

From LV
So only 2 places get any natives, what's up with that?
There re new places added for fall fingerling stockings, that may not have been announced yet.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 10:28

From Pgh
It's nothing new for this watershed. They've planted fingerlings a number of times since I can remember. I really can't see this stream supporting a fishable population of wild trout unless catch and release is strictly enforced. Poaching has always been an issue. Plus a lot of the water--especially in the project-- is shallow and featureless. Significant, lasting streamwork would need to be done.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 11:01

From Clarion co.
90% of the wild trout i have ever caught have been above the pump house. The fly zone itself is incredibly over-rated. It's productive, but nothing spectacular. I will say that some of the prettiest wild trout i have caught have come from little sandy.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 12:28

From Clarion co.
As far as i'm concerned the fingerling stocking is a great idea. If they would combine that with stream improvements Little Sandy would have some serious potential, but as mentioned above there are too many long shallow flats that lack flow and cover, so until that is taken care of any type of stocking will not work to its full potential.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 12:36

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com