Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Fingerling stocking on Little Sandy? ( Venango County)

From Ohio
Cornholio, did they just dump the fish in a few holes by the pumphouse and maybe farther down off of 62 also or did they try to spread them around a bit?

I'd imagine they'd spread themselsves out, especially since they're smaller and probably more of them, but if they're like the adult stocked fish there they might just stick to the couple holes they're stocked in. But then again those holes are of the few decent holes in the whole regs section. Habitat improvement would really help!

Posted on: 2012/11/27 15:47

Fingerling trout stockings are occasionally successful in Pa streams, but usually they are not (low survival rates to adult size).

Posted on: 2012/11/28 12:05

Edited by Mike on 2012/11/28 12:44:34

All five stream sections (C&RFFO) will receive only high stocking rate, fall (large "fingerlings) fingerling stockings through 2015. No adult trout will be stocked by the PFBC or its cooperative nurseries (sportsmens club nurseries).

Posted on: 2012/11/28 12:08

From Parkesburg
Bold move but I like it!

Posted on: 2012/11/28 19:28

From Parkesburg
Either were goinng to be fishing for sardines or maybe some of the fingerlings will grow into fish that closely resemble wild fish. I remember fishing the Tully when it was mainly stocked with fingerlings in the dhalo.... it used to be a much better fishery imo.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 19:32

From Ohio
It'll be interesting to see how this will all work out. Even though I'd rather see the stream not stocked, imo I still think stocking fingerlings may be better. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Either were goinng to be fishing for sardines or maybe some of the fingerlings will grow into fish that closely resemble wild fish.

I was going to ask about the fin clippings, but I re-read the thread and found my answer. I've caught fingerling stocked fish(well, a little bigger than fingerlings) in Neshannock and Cool Spring Creeks that were stocked by the local TU chapter and when they got bigger they looked very much like wild fish. I'm glad they're fin clipping them since there are wild fish as mentioned already in Little Sandy and I'm sure some of the other streams.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 19:52

From LV
Didn't say what the reason was, but it's to reduce poaching of the fall stocking. If it accomplishes that then it is a success.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 9:00

Quote:

Mike wrote:
Fingerling trout stockings are occasionally successful in Pa streams, but usually they are not (low survival rates to adult size).

So, why go that route? And why specifically on C&R, FFO sections?

What is the goal, purpose, rationale, etc.?

Posted on: 2012/11/29 10:15

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:

Low survival, or low residency? I'd guess that both come into play, depending on the situation. But I've always thought the latter doesn't get enough consideration.

For instance, with the later year trials on the Tully, I caught a significant number of fingerling bows around the mouth and in the Skuke itself.

I don't consider poor residency much of a "problem". That's the whole point of a wild/fingerling fishery, the fish are spread out more naturally, not just piled in the stocked areas.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 16:44

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
And why specifically on C&R, FFO sections?

I'm geussing that they think the anglers who frequent special regs would support this sort of move while general regs and opening day guys would just see it as the gubment stealing their rightfully deserved trouts?

Kev

Posted on: 2012/11/29 16:58

From LV
I heard it was because of complaints of poaching on the C & R FFO sections.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:01

From New Castle, PA
I've never experienced a lack of trout in the Little Sandy. Only a lack of holding water. As far as wild trout go there are plenty in that stream, just not o much in the C&RFFO area. Again habitat is a likely issue there. Yeah there's probably poaching there and a million other places too, but if there is a lot of poaching going on it's being done by piss poor fisherman IMO. FWIW, the wild trout population in LSC seems to be a lot more robust than many streams in more remote settings, some of which get a good deal of discussion on this board.

I can't imagine that this is any sort of move to deter poaching. I think the economics of stocking fingerlings is a more a likely motivation. Even then these streams are only a drop in the bucket of the total stocking program. I'll wait for the PABC to comment on the motivation for this change, until then it just makes sense to me that they'd start it in areas where they'll recieve the least resistance.

Kev

Posted on: 2012/11/30 11:27

Sorry guys, I responded at length, but when I submitted my response an "invalid.....code" message appeared. I'm not going to repeat my effort.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 12:05

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Sorry guys, I responded at length, but when I submitted my response an "invalid.....code" message appeared. I'm not going to repeat my effort.

Mike, same thing happens to me on my work PC, so much so that I now always copy the text before submitting. At least that way, I can go back in and paste without having to re-type.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 12:10

From Clarion co.
Streamer guy, it looked like they just dumped them in by the pumphouse. I fished the entire fly stretch and never noticed them until i was about 50 yds below the pumphouse.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 22:01

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com