Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: FEW Lehigh dam capacity question for those who may know

From Southeast Pa
May try to get up there on July 4 if the flow and temps are good.
Is the Lehigh a morning or afternoon game this time of year ? I will be mostly nymphing so it may not matter.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 8:15

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I'm waiting for PFBC to follow through and start Raystown as a bottom released cold water fishery.

I've often wondered with the depth and size of Raystown Lake why there isn't a tailwater fishery...

Posted on: 2013/6/30 9:35

Quote:

Wharfrat wrote:
May try to get up there on July 4 if the flow and temps are good.
Is the Lehigh a morning or afternoon game this time of year ? I will be mostly nymphing so it may not matter.

As long as the water is cooler, like now, you can fish in the morning with isonychia nymphs. Impart motion to them. Short little micro-strips as they swing. You can get fish to come up to the dries in the middle of the day, provided that the water is cold, in the more isolated parts of the river. They will come right off the bottom for a size 12 iso dry with nothing on top. It can be done, but usually works best in shaded banks in medium depth water. Wet works well too.

At night, then the big fish further down river start to feed on the isos, and that lasts right into dark. For that, you want to find a spot outside the state park to stay after dark for fat browns.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 10:28

From Mont Co, Pa
That river is BLOWN OUT, and will be worse after the predicted rains that are on the way.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 10:46

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
I'm waiting for PFBC to follow through and start Raystown as a bottom released cold water fishery.

I've often wondered with the depth and size of Raystown Lake why there isn't a tailwater fishery...

Straight from the mouth of Dave Arnold..... The striper fishery is more important. It would be very difficult to have a world class striper population and at the same time have a trout tailwater due to thermal issues.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 12:23

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

I say keep the rain coming. Maybe we can have some trout fishing after July 4. Really the downstream temps have not gotten that high as of yet. And even if they have the flows have been big.

Becker/Kray - the whole thing about protecting the two tier fishery is a red herring imo. Not one time have I seen evidence of the Beltzville two tier fishery being effected by the massive releases that from time to time are need to be flushed from Beltzville in order for the lake level to be kept in check to accommodate the ramps. I'm talking about 1500cfs (which is the max that can be released from Beltz) for extended periods of time. Obviously in normal operations the anglers would not be looking for these kinds of releases! All we are asking for is a slow trickle of coldwater. Doubtful this would be much of an impact.

As far as I am concerned the two tier fishery protection agenda is an excuse to do nothing.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 19:16

So much water going down river that the pool doesn't have enough time to cool I don't think. Is that what is happening here? It is at 1372ft, coming out at 1900 cfs, and it is 68F at the below dam gauge. So if it is held to 1390s height, and it is capped there, how much of a difference would it make?

Posted on: 2013/7/3 3:07

Beast

The water in the reservoir doesn't really "cool down" because of depth. The water from the spring run off/snow melt when its coming into the lake at 40F, needs to be reserved and held for use during the summer time.

Unfortunately, FEW can't do that because it can only release the water off the bottom. A new control tower with gates at various elevations in the lake is needed. Then the Corps can discharge water from the surface during the spring at higher elevations when the lake surface water is "cool" enough for the trout. THen as summer warms the water in the lake, the Corps would begin to use the gates lower/deeper in the tower/lake to discharge the cooler water below the thermocline.

If the Corps had a tower that has multiple gates at different elevations (Like Beltzville Reservoir), they could discharge warmer water during Flood control events or Whitewater releases and not "waste" the coldwater from the depths of the lake.

Right now the Corps can't do that. They are basically handcuffed. The only way to preserve the coldwater in the lake is what I described above. Once the coldwater is gone, its gone till the Fall time when inflow water temps into the lake drop because of the cooler weather.

Tell the boys at the PFBC this is what you want to improve the fishery. Stay on them, don't let them "weasel" their way out of it because it will be "too expensive" or "not pay for itself" or "angler use is low"......which is an entirely different story..

Did I answer your question? More storage would allow for more coldwater in the lake, but the WW releases and high flood control releases (like now) deplete that coldwater quickly and even at 1390 feet the lake would still run out of coldwater.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 10:38

From Dauphin PA
Shane,

I'll call bs on his statement. World class striper fishing? I'm sure people are traveling from all over the country to fish it. I'll second the statement that it's an excuse.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:51

Yeah, LR, thanks for the info. I knew generally that the big problem was always the lack of release capabilities at FEW. Just didn't know how much of a factor keeping the height at 1370 this late in the summer played in cool water coming out of the bottom. And I guess the answer is that it's not really cooling much at all as you explained .

Posted on: 2013/7/3 15:36

From Dauphin PA
From the sounds of things, when lobbying to PFBC, you may want to tow a sparkly boat and wear an obnoxiously loud bass tournament shirt or they may not listen to ya.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 16:44

Quote:
Yeah, LR, thanks for the info. I knew generally that the big problem was always the lack of release capabilities at FEW. Just didn't know how much of a factor keeping the height at 1370 this late in the summer played in cool water coming out of the bottom. And I guess the answer is that it's not really cooling much at all as you explained .

Beast

Here is the kicker....if the lake was raised to 1390 ft and there was no need for the high volume whitewater releases or flood control releases and the Corps could release water at a fairly steady rate (say, 300-600 cfs), the coldwater would last MUCH longer through the summer and around early August the coldwater would run out.

Currently we run out of coldwater around mid-July, sooner this year because of June being so wet.

I recall in 2002 (if memory serves me correctly), during a drought season, the DRBC asked the Corps to fill the lake up to 1392 ft to help augment flows in the Delaware to beat back the saltline in Trenton. I had some great July and August fishing with Slate drakes in the evenings during that summer. The flows were perfect, the water was cool and the bugs were hatching....and the trout feeding. That is what turned me on with that river. But by mid August the coldwater ran out and the river warmed up to the low-mid 70s.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 17:26

The coldwater pool may be depleted soon, but the tribs, which are the lifeblood of the Lehigh, have nice flows, and will help cool the river some.

Enough what-ifs about the dam. We will not see any major changes in our lifetimes.

That is not really a bad thing. I love the river just as it is.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 22:25

From Luzerne County, PA
Can anyone make any sense out of this

FEW Water Release Update

How does a flow of 100cfs from the end of July to the end of August help the fishery?

Posted on: 2013/7/15 14:52

HD - That is 100cfs over inflow up to 300cfs. So if 200cfs were coming into the reservoir and the reservoir is at 1370' the Corps will release 300cfs. Despite the fact the cold water is gone, an augmentation of 100cfs which is what the Corps is doing, does in fact help the fishery imo. That said, I don't like the 'fishery release' designation they give these releases. They should be called 'biological release' or something along those lines since some anglers might misconstrue these releases to mean a good fishing release, when any anglers knows the trout fishing in the Lehigh most years during the summer months is less than optimal.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 15:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com