Exploring Muddy Creek

Krebster

Krebster

Hi all, I'm heading down to fish Muddy Creek in York county this Sunday (8/4) as part of a three day mini fishing trip across south central PA. I've never been there so any information from you all would be very much appreciated. If there are any other spots down that way I should check out please let me know. Also, if anyone wants to meet up down there and do some fishing let me know. Thanks!

I would focus on the FFO section as the rest gets hit hard and the entire stream gets very warm. My favorite water is open water below Woodbine (there is a parking area access), but I dont know how it fishes in summer.

Maybe also check out the little stream that flows thru Spring Valley Park in southern York County? Probably about 30ish minutes from Muddy on the country roads, south of Dallastown/Red Lion, the E. Branch of the Codorus I think it is, my old stomping grounds as a kid. Though it might be a bit warm in the summer time, especially outside the park in the pasture zone and on down towards the Izak Walton property, maybe Maurice will chime in...

If you are in Southern York County consider hitting up Codorus TT section as well. It is ~ 45 min drive west from Muddy Creek. Tomitrout mentioned Spring Valley Park, which is also a very nice spot and would be on the way to Codorus.

If you decide to head over towards the TT section let me know, perhaps we can hook-up and I can show you some of my secret spots on the Codorus. PM me if interested.

After the recent heat wave we've had I would probably leave Muddy Creek alone at this time. Give the fish that survived a chance to recover and come back in a month or so.

If you find that water temp is a problem in Muddy Ck when you arrive, then just go up the South Branch of Muddy Ck through the stocked trout stretch, which also harbors wild trout, or continue farther upstream (ask landowners). The farther up you go the better it gets. You may also wish to hit the stocked section of Leibs Ck, a trib to the S Br Muddy. It harbors a good wild trout population as well. Staying closer to Muddy, Orson Run, a near-by trib, also has an attractive wild trout population and was once stocked by a cooperative nursery. I am not certain whether the co-op stocks it at present. Again, it would be advisable to contact landowners.

Back