Elk River, WV

F

fayettenamese

I am planning to fish the Elk this upcoming week. I have found through online research that there are two artificial sections near Slatyfork and the Elk Springs campground. These were the two areas I am planning to visit. Has anyone been to either of these two areas, or have another area to recommend? My favorite way to fish is with buggers so that will likely be my starting strategy.

I have never been to those areas or anywhere else on Elk River. I would consider a wooly bugger on anywhere, but would rather observe and adapt, hopefully to the correct dry fly. :cool:

Thus, this time of year-- a stimulator would be my initial fly.

My wife and I spent a weekend at Elk Springs Resort last year. It is a privately held resort, but the water is open to the public. I guess that it is the same place?
It is a cold spring fed creek that is loaded with bugs. They shot an episode of My fly Rod Chronicles there. They have a hatchery on the property and keep the creek well.
If you go, my advice would be to call the fly shop there and ask questions.
They are really nice people. I recommend the place.
Warren

Used to fish it regularly when I lived in WV. Contact the flyshop at the resort for info.

Slaty has only two ways to enter and has a good population of wild bows as well as browns. The main branch (public C&R water begins right behind the flyshop) and goes for 2 miles. Big bows and browns. This time of year is good midge fishing but again, call and stop in the flyshop for advice.

Dale

Thanks guys. I will definitely contact the fly shop.

Back