East Branch Brandywine DHALO ??

huntfish

huntfish

hey yall,
anyone know how this section has been fishing lately? i've never fished it however i walked struble trail to check out the water a couple weeks ago and get a feel for the area, thinking about making a trip there sometime in the near future.

thanks

fished it an afternoon last week. It was okay. I picked up about 8-10 fish in a couple houts. The water was low which makes it rough there. Supposed to get VERY heavy rain so after tomorrow it could get wild there through the weekend. They are scheduled to stock on 5/5 so I imagine it will be fishing much better next week.

I wouldn't bother with it until after 5/5 when they stock again. The area gets heavily poached but is pretty good after the second stocking when no one is around. I have seen some good hatches comming off in May. It is a good idea to check the stream flow because it is sometimes unwadable after a big rain. The DHALO section is downstream from Marsh creek and when they let the water out of the resivior its not fishable.

I would say that if we don't get anymore rain, the Brandywine should be fishable again by June. Kinda kidding but it is crazy the way it flooded out Kerr Park in Downingtown last night. Worst i have seen it in a while.

i haven't been down that way today but i was checking out the gages. looks completely blown out. unbelievable how much it rained.

here is the gages:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01480700

At least the fish should be "well distributed". Perhaps in someone's basement. The below pic is the 322/30 intersection in D-town, which is now a branch of the Brandywine. Streamers anyone?

Attachments

• d-town.JPG
    d-town.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 3
it would be hilarious if you just see someone wading through the street fly fishing hahahaha

here

Attachments

• SalmonAltmar (400x265).jpg
    SalmonAltmar (400x265).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5
If I were back home right now, once the water drops I'd hit the E. Brandywine near the mouth of west valley creek for a good mix of trout and SMB. The DHALO never was my favorite section of that stream.

Born and raised near D-town and can think of 3 other times it has flooded as bad/maybe worse than yesterday, not sure if there were any bad floods when I was a little kid. The first I can remember was Hurricane Floyd. That flood took out the covered bridge over the E. Brandywine which is only a few minutes from my house. So in the time I've been alive/can remember, floods like that have happened once every 5-6 years. Couldn't believe some of the pics I saw from yesterday. Heard that rush hour was an absolute nightmare.

Meanwhile here in state college, we got just enough rain to add a little color to Spring Creek.

Sarce,

I tend to agree with you. I have more success both above the DHALO section and below it.

I fish the DHALO section every week or two and catch a good amount of fish. Have caught some large Rainbows as well.

The flows were insane on the E.Brandywine the past 2 days. I live just above the DHALO section just off 282 and everything was flooded. The brandywine came over the bank at Dorlan Mills and washed all the wood companys logs up against the chain link fence across from the Struble trail parking lot. I also can remember Floyd but still think this storm was worse.

Back