Dunbar Creek

R

Rickb326

I was at a class last year about fly fishing for smallmouth and the instructor had mentioned to a few people afterwards to stay away from Dunbar Creek due to crime. Is this a current issue?

It has been stated over and over, but although you will see some interesting things there, I have not encountered any issues. I think anytime you drive a couple miles into the woods in a remote and very rural area, you run the risk of being taken advantage of by a criminal. Protect yourself properly, hopefully by staying close to some escape if things don't feel right. This applies anywhere, not just in Fayette County.

I have done a lot of risky thing pursuing trout, and fishing Dunbar is not on the top twenty list.

I've never had a problem on Dunbar and I fish there several time a month. You do get some locals spinning their wheels in the big parking lot or the occasional bait fisherman in the FFO, but have never had an issue with my vehicle being tampered with. I wouldn't leave equipment in plain sight though. Same with most places.

Despite the rumors of shady things happening there, I've never had any trouble while fishing dunbar.
Although my vehicle was broken into twice while parked at a certain remote access lot along the yough river trail. So, I quit parking there - and haven't had any problems since

Back