Drakes on Clark Creek?

D

DEPete53

I was fishing a little above Dehart Reservoir on Clark Creek last Friday (May 22) and there were some small tan caddis, what looked like small sulphurs and BWOs hatching and fish were rising sporadically. I did manage to catch one fish each on an Elk hair sz 16 and a BWO sz 16. In the late afternoon/early evening I saw only 4 or 5 very large mayflies with really long tails but they were not close enough to determine a color. Is there some type of decent Drake hatch on Clark? I have only been fishing there for a couple of years and haven't seen any before. Thanks for any info.

Fredrick and I ran into that hatch on Clark's when we hit it on the way home from the Jam five years ago right at this time of year.

We guessed the hatch to be Dark Green Drakes.

Here is a thread about the DGD hatch at Clarks with some pics.

Saw several DGD'S last week as well. I usually see one or 2 a year, but last week I saw at least 10 from the same riffle, right above the top of DeHart. I caught one and got a pic, checked it when I got home, and it is almost certainly a DGD.

Boyer

PS Definitely Sulphurs, which are almost always spotty up there, but were very thick this year. The Grey Foxes that usually dominate that area were few and far between. Can't say I noticed the BWO'S, though.

I looked at the thread Tom linked. Wow, some were calling that bug a Hendrickson or a March Brown. Not even close.

I remember talking to guys on Clarks in the mid / late 80's. Some of the guys were going upstate and bringing back drake nymphs to plant in the creek. They wanted to establish a drake hatch on that stream. Never seemed to take hold and I'll guess they didn't have permits to do so or that it was even legal.

I've never seen that bug on Clarks but have seen Hendrickson, March Browns and Sulphurs. The Hex I see come from the Susky and it's still way early for them.

Boyers on it. I've see a a couple different drakes on Clark's before. One of which Greg Hoover originally identified. If your on creeks enough you will notice scarce bugs Never enough to seem to put fish on.

Back