Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Donegal C&R FFO: fall fingerling RT stocked

From Maytown, PA
I have caught wild browns from the Donegal, not large but definitely wild. I also caught a large female last year that was shedding eggs,very late in the year, around Thanksgiving. It is my go to stream because I am so close. Live in Maytown.

Posted on: 2012/10/24 15:54

From Lancaster
I have also caught wild brownies in the Donegal. Mostly in the 5-7" range. I have not fished it this year but I remember catching a few during the '11 season.

Posted on: 2012/10/24 16:53

From Mount Joy, PA
There's wild browns in there bigger than 7-8", I can assure you of that. Not a lot, but they're there. And there's also wild bows as well. A brookie population, if present, would be closer to the headwaters. More than likely, the fish are from the DFCA spring fishing derby in which they left the reflecting pool at the church. I don't think the water quality is good enough in most of the stream to support any kind of naturally reproducing brook trout.

Resized Image
Donegal wild rainbow

Posted on: 2012/10/24 18:06

From Maytown, PA
My avatar pic was caught there and I believe is wild. I have caught many that were in the 7-9 inch range but also believe there are much bigger ones there.I'll see if I can get a larger pic of it up there.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee414/caveman2533/P3180430.jpg

Posted on: 2012/10/24 20:29

From Lancaster County
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
There's wild browns in there bigger than 7-8", I can assure you of that. Not a lot, but they're there. And there's also wild bows as well. A brookie population, if present, would be closer to the headwaters. More than likely, the fish are from the DFCA spring fishing derby in which they left the reflecting pool at the church. I don't think the water quality is good enough in most of the stream to support any kind of naturally reproducing brook trout.

The fish I caught would have been a very small escapee from the fishing derby. It was up at the 772 bridge and was absolutely brilliantly colored and no more than seven inches, although I don't think I have a picture of it. I was quite surprised at the time, and then when my buddy picked up the bigger brookie, I began to wonder if there might not be the remnant of a reproducing brookie population there. But, I haven't caught or seen a brookie there since..

I also picked up my only tiger trout in 2008 on the Donegal as well; I don't think it was wild though.

I'm interested to see how the fingerlings fare, and then how the stream fares without the introduction of adult trout each spring. If we could control predators like baiters and herons, it might be a viable experiment.

Attach file:

jpg  0320111657.JPG (207.31 KB)
957_508892a17f389.jpg 860X645 px

jpg  Brook Trout.JPG (88.15 KB)
957_508892af09c83.jpg 860X589 px

jpg  IMG_1457.JPG (118.46 KB)
957_50889367ef13e.jpg 860X645 px

Posted on: 2012/10/24 21:19

Icy: Why rainbow trout? Why not browns?

Mike: experience(s) and favoring wild browns

Posted on: 2012/10/25 8:37

From West Chester
ok

Posted on: 2012/10/25 10:26

From Mount Joy, PA
With the rains coming, I think most of these fish will end up in the Susquehnna! :D

Posted on: 2012/10/28 20:04

From LV
Why bows and not brookies, they are native.
As to bows establishing a reproducing population anywhere in PA where fingerlings are stocked, conditions in PA favor the fall spawning fish over spring spawning fish. So only if the rainbows are fall spawning fish will they have a chance.
To be scientific about this a biologist cannot afford to go into a study such as this with any expectations or the result could be skewed.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 9:04

Warm temps, substantial sediment, poor survival of hatchery brook trout: All good reasons not to use brook trout.

As for pre-study expectations in general (as in "this is what is probably going to happen," "this is not going to work," or something similar), a biologist can certainly have these thoughts or expectations from experience and from the scientific literature. In fact, they often come from reviewing the scientific literature. Nevertheless, as a professional, a biologist will still objectively design and run a study as if those expectations did not exist.

As an example, I was pretty certain that I knew how the wild brook trout enhancement regs, which were applied to select streams outside of SE Pa, would affect wild brook trout population abundance and size structure in the "treatment" streams based on personal observations of angler usage and later by the results of the statewide wild trout stream angler use and harvest study. Had one of those streams been in SE Pa. my thoughts certainly would not have affected the way that I would have conducted the study. In fact, scientifically speaking, finding out that I am wrong is as interesting as learning that I am right, and sometimes even more interesting.

Posted on: 2012/10/29 14:41

Edited by Mike on 2012/10/29 14:56:06

Re: Donegal C&R FFO: fall fingerling RT stocked,,,Mike

From LV
Quote:

As an example, I was pretty certain that I knew how the wild brook trout enhancement regs, which were applied to select streams outside of SE Pa, would affect wild brook trout population abundance and size structure in the "treatment" streams based on personal observations of angler usage and later by the results of the statewide wild trout stream angler use and harvest study. Had one of those streams been in SE Pa. my thoughts certainly would not have affected the way that I would have conducted the study. In fact, scientifically speaking, finding out that I am wrong is as interesting as learning that I am right, and sometimes even more interesting.

Could you explain what you meant by this please?

Posted on: 2012/10/29 15:57

From Dauphin PA
Chaz,

Brooks are native.....just not to that stream. Why force a square peg into a round hole? If fish "A" thrives but fish "B" doesn't, why try to establish a wild fishery for fish "B"?

Posted on: 2012/10/31 9:52

Re: Donegal C&R FFO: fall fingerling RT stocked,,,Mike
From Chester County
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Quote:

Could you explain what you meant by this please?

My take is that Mike, from his knowledge and experience as a fisheries biologist, was of the belief that the WBTE regs (C&R for brook trout) would have little or no effect on the abundance and/or size structure of the ST population. But, even with that mind-set, if the program was in his region, he would have done everything to assure the study was conducted in the proper way. And, if he were proven wrong, he would take it like a man, eat crow, and learn something.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 10:08

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Chaz,

Brooks are native.....just not to that stream. Why force a square peg into a round hole? If fish "A" thrives but fish "B" doesn't, why try to establish a wild fishery for fish "B"?

Wait, what? Were there no brook trout in the Donegal?

Brook trout fingerlings have very poor survival rates no matter where they are tried. I think it has to do with the over breeding of hatchery stock.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:44

From Dauphin PA
All I'm getting at is.... If browns would flourish, let's go with a less successful species because they are native to the state. Based on that thought process, I support cougar and wolf stocking because they were also once native.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 19:51

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com