Conodoguinet flows

TimB

TimB

Been watching the flows on the Conodoguinet all summer and have noticed that it's been lower than the historical average for several months - even when heavy rains brought nearby streams way up. I float it quite a bit and it's been great when other streams were blown out, but overall it's pretty bony this summer.

Anybody have any idea why? Is water being drawn off somewhere? development? Is there a problem with the aquifer? Or is it just cyclical? It's a pretty big watershed, it's just a bit weird that its been consistently lower than normal this summer.

It does indeed seem on the low side to me too compared to other local waterways, many in the same watershed. To be sure, I have only noticed this in recent weeks as the springtime and early summer flows seemed normal. I have no idea why other than that the Connie watershed, which is about 500 sq miles, does seem to have avoided many of the more localized storms this summer that seem to have popped up further east or south of much of this watershed.
Hhmmm......

Maybe something to do with the reservoirs in the headwaters.

Bingo.

I live about 2 miles from it and see every day. For whatever reason, there has been a good amount of rain around the area, but some of them have been localized storms.

There was a point when the Susq was up a good bit and the Cond. barely rose.

Don't think it is anything but a fluke.

Back