Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Clarion River area

From Clearfield
Saw a crayfish there while fishing that was every bit 8". Looked like a lobster.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 22:16

From MidAtlantic
NHanes, I fly fish, spin fish, and bait caster fish in Fresh and Saltwater and I match the tackle to the type and weight of the lures/flies. I have not use bait in 35 years and only use barbless hooks and I have probably killed about 3 trout in that 35 years. You are welcomed to your opinion, but my time is limited and truly huge brown trout don't get big chacing bugs when there are not many of them in the River. The size of the streamers I would need would require a fly set up that I would not enjoy using or am very good at casting since I don't do it very often.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 18:53

Edited by LongWader on 2013/9/5 19:19:44

From MidAtlantic
Destined for the Clarion River in two days. Unfortunately I fell and jammed/sprained my right wrist, but I am still looking forward to it. They are predicting some cloudy conditions and possibly some showers the end of this week. Those are good conditions for the river

Posted on: 2013/9/16 9:31

From Richfield, PA
Good luck LongWader.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:03
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Gettysburg
[quote]
LongWader wrote:
Destined for the Clarion River in two days. Unfortunately I fell and jammed/sprained my right wrist, but I am still looking forward to it. /quote]

Hope you bounce back soon.
Let us know how you made out - we're waiting with great anticipation for those monster trout glory pics. No pressure.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:14

From MidAtlantic
Thanks FishIdiot and Hammertime, I was able to fish, but my casting accuracy and distance suffered. The Clarion did not fish as well as it had the last five years especially for big browns. We caught lots of smallmouth even up near Johnsonburg which was different. Lots of holdover medium sized rainbows and a surprising number of 13 to 16' holdover and wild brook trout. The water was clear, low, warm, and the bottom of the river was covered with this black stringy weed the constantly fouled our lures and weighted flies. I did get (3) 21" browns and one 22", but no submarines this time. I did see one and she chased, but did not take. The river was beautiful and the company was great as per usual. We did a lot of fishing in the trophy trout area and below Ridgway. We saw one canoe and one kayak in 5 days of fishing and basically had the river to ourselves.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 10:30

From Richfield, PA
Sounds like a good time (4 fish 20+in!!) Thanks for the follow up LW.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 15:39
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Pgh
FYI-- Big brownies in that watershed often move up into smaller tribs starting this time of year to spawn. Just sayin'...

Posted on: 2013/9/27 19:24

From MidAtlantic
I agree GG, but we did not see any pushes coming upstream this year or any evidence that they had started. I believe this is the first year that we were strictly fishing for resident fish and holdovers. The resident fish are even tougher to move and catch than fresh fish pushing upstream. The one thing we did not do which we had planned to do was fish the East Branch. Maybe the initial push was already past us, but we saw no evidence to suggest that. The fact that there were lots of smallmouth and chubs in the trout holding areas suggest to me that the browns had not come through yet. With the low, clear, relatively warm water conditions we had, and the lack of rain the end of this Summer it would kind of make sense. Those big chubs tend to get scarce when the bullies show up.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 9:33

From Gettysburg
Very interesting report and observations - thanks LW.

And the fact that 20+" fish aren't "submarines" puts things in perspective.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 12:15

From Pgh
LW,
No. Now that I think about it, it's probably still a bit early. I haven't fished up there in years, but I always used to make a special trip up to actually fish some of the tributaries when the bullies came through. It was a real kick to see a 2-foot long trout in a 20' stream. Very, very difficult to catch though.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 15:20

From MidAtlantic
Any other freestone stream and a 22" fish would be a submarine. In the Clarion our benchmark for a submarine is a brown over 26" and that is just our benchmark. The fish I missed looked like a 28-29" fish and it pushed a wake that initially made me think that there was a beaver swimming towards me.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:08

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com