Children's Lake Project Boiling Springs

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Announcement of $2M + state funded project to repair and replace the dam for Children's Lake in Boiling Springs that feeds into the Yellow Breeches.

http://paenvironmentdaily.blogspot.com/2018/03/fish-boat-commission-receives-funding.html

If the breeches below the run becomes posted, would the state regret this project?

ryansheehan wrote:
If the breeches below the run becomes posted, would the state regret this project?

What in the article hinted that it may become posted or what prompted you to come to that possible outcome?

Who owns that land below where the run comes in? I was only on the Breeches once in my life and it was just a few weeks ago so I don't know much about it.

With all the spring water flowing into the lake, there should be an opportunity to create a good year around fishery.

jifigz wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

What in the article hinted that it may become posted or what prompted you to come to that possible outcome?

Who owns that land below where the run comes in? I was only on the Breeches once in my life and it was just a few weeks ago so I don't know much about it.

The resort below Boiling Springs, Allenberry Playhouse was recently sold. There is a chance that new management could turn it into a private fishery. They are dumping alot of money into improvements and I would guess they would want to maximize their ROI. I have zero inside information and really don't fish the breeches often. I guess I'm wondering out loud.

Regardless what the Allenberry Resort does or doesn't do with their stretch of the Breeches (Section 3), Children's Lake is a completely different fishery with different regulations than the Run or Allenberry sections.

Even if Section 3 is off limits, the Lake & Run will still be accessible

Also, if the Children's Lake dam needs fixing, it needs fixing.

Bamboozle wrote:
Regardless what the Allenberry Resort does or doesn't do with their stretch of the Breeches (Section 3), Children's Lake is a completely different fishery with different regulations than the Run or Allenberry sections.

Makes sense, I was thinking that the reason they would want to improve the dam might be in some part due to the water release into the breeches. Like I said, not my home waters, probably just the pessimist in me.

Bamboozle wrote:

Agree with this.

This project has been in the works for some time as the dam, retaining wall, and outflow have had structural problems for a long time. It's needed.

This is good news. I fish this area a lot. I don’t get the negative assumptions we keep hearing about Allenberry. The new owner has been accommodating to fisherman thus far.

And even assuming the worst, it’s logical to assume that YBAC and the Fish Commision would shift resources and maybe even special regs elsewhere. No?

I’d say worry less and fish more. At Allenberry, or any part of the creek which has great access opportunities from the headwaters to the mouth.

laurelrun wrote:
This is good news. I fish this area a lot. I don’t get the negative assumptions we keep hearing about Allenberry. The new owner has been accommodating to fisherman thus far.

And even assuming the worst, it’s logical to assume that YBAC and the Fish Commision would shift resources and maybe even special regs elsewhere. No?

I’d say worry less and fish more. At Allenberry, or any part of the creek which has great access opportunities from the headwaters to the mouth.

That is a good mantra. I'd modify it slightly.

Worry less. Fish more. But remain vigilant.

I thought they had already done a lot if work on the dam

not to be rude, but does it ?

if there was no dam, the breeches would be a legit spring creek right ?

wouldn't it provide better year round fishing for a much longer stretch of the creek below boiling springs ? possibly miles ?

I understand that the dam has been there many years, but its ornamental and not natural.

the move elsewhere seems to be to remove these dams and return the rivers to nature.

just a thought.

geebee wrote:
not to be rude, but does it ?

if there was no dam, the breeches would be a legit spring creek right ?

No.
This dam is not on Yellow Breeches. It is part of a spring and tributary system that feeds into Breeches. The small lake it forms, Children's Lake, is the center piece of the old town of Boiling Springs. It's there to stay.

Regarding dams that are actually on Breeches, Cumberland Valley TU has led the way in removing them and is currently heading up a project to restore a major stream section near Boiling Springs where we removed a dam a few years ago.

Back