Central PA fish/camp trip advice

C

casey251

Hi, I've never fished the Central PA streams but would like to set up a trip there next spring (coming from Baltimore...). I've done some research on the steams/hatches etc but am having a hard time finding a good spot to tent camp. Was looking at Poe Paddy campground, for instance, but would be even better to find a place not in a crowded state campground. We're looking for a spot ideally right on some water, without too many people around, if any. i.e., is backcountry camping permitted along any of the good water?
Any advice at all appreciated...
thanks

There is camping in the state forests other than at the State Parks:

From the link below:
Camping
Motorized camping is allowed at approximately 40 designated locations throughout the Bald Eagle State Forest. These sites have a fire ring and off road parking. Camping permits are required for those sites and are available from the district office. Backpackers may camp along the hiking trails if they stay no more than one night in any location and follow Bureau of Forestry camping guidelines.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/baldeagle/

The trick is to find out where these campsites are located. I've seen a specific map or two showing the sites for a couple of the various state forests, but they don't seem to be that common/readily availible. As far as streamside spots, that's gonna be hit or miss depending on the forest. And of course the backcountry option is always there, but you can't be near your vehicle and can't stay more than overnight.

Drop a line to the District Forest Offices for each of the handful of SF's in the area (Bald Eagle, Rothrock, Moshannon, Tuscarora...) and they might be able to give you a better handle on specific campsite locations.

State Park Campgrounds in PA are not real crowded during the week until after Memorial day. The camp sites at Poe Paddy are decent and it's right on Penns Creek. Nearby you have the Seven Mountains Campground on rt. 322, not idea because it's close to a highway, but it is fairly remote. There are other CG's in the area just google camp grounds near State College.

Casey, I've camped at Poe Valley and Poe Paddy my whole life. I personally have never seen it crowded at Poe Paddy. The only exception might be during the green drake hatch. I recommend stopping by the Feathered Hook in Coburn if you go. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff there.

I agree that Poe Paddy Campground is rarely crowded, especially before Memorial Day.

Back