Central PA Fall

klingy

klingy

I have the opportunity to take a long weekend each fall to fish with my dad. We usually stay at Penn Roosevelt State Park, and fish the waters within about a 20 mile radius. This opens up a huge amount of water. Penn’s, Little J, Kish, Fishing, Bald Eagle, Spring – the list goes on. It’s sometimes hard to decide where to go.

The most enjoyable part of this trip each year is that we don’t really plan much other than where and what we’re going to eat. For three days we go to wherever feels right, or wherever we haven’t fished in a while. The pace is slower than usual. There is a lot of pausing and taking in the change of seasons. I love sitting on the banks of Penn’s in the fall and just watching.
This year, we had an exceptional time. It was one of those trips where I didn’t change my rig too often – a hopper (size 14 letort) dropper (size 16 bhpt). The fish came steadily. Enough takes on the hopper lead to fishing it without the dropper, and let me just disappear into the scenery and focus singly on drifting the fly through. Relaxation.

First we hit Bald Eagle – which I always enjoy fishing more than I remember. What a great fall stream.

Then to the Little J. Don’t have to say any more.

Penn’s was next. Low but fishable. More risers than I can ever remember.

The highlight was hitting some of the smaller limestone feeders to the Frankstown Branch. What perfect little streams. Not too tight to cast, but big enough to hold fish that will put a bend in the rod. Found a hole with about 10 little browns stacked up. Stayed for an hour. Had a blast.

The passing of summer to fall couldn’t come soon enough for me this year. The smell of leaves on the ground and smoke in the air. Breath turning to steam. Flashlights out as we walk back into our campsite. Sausage on the fire, and trout rising silently in the swirl of passing leaves. Another fall in Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• Bald Eagle Brown.jpg
    Bald Eagle Brown.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 8
  • Fast Water Ambush.jpg
    Fast Water Ambush.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Fingerling.jpg
    Fingerling.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Hopper Eater.jpg
    Hopper Eater.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 6
  • One of Many Stacked Up.jpg
    One of Many Stacked Up.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Penns Brown.jpg
    Penns Brown.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 5
  • Penns Low At Dusk.jpg
    Penns Low At Dusk.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 6
  • Penn's Pool with Risers.jpg
    Penn's Pool with Risers.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 5
  • Penns Sparse.jpg
    Penns Sparse.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Smaller Water Brown.jpg
    Smaller Water Brown.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Stacked Up.jpg
    Stacked Up.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 5
  • Subtle Riser.jpg
    Subtle Riser.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 7
Real nice post. Haven't seen many of these as of late. Great trip no doubt.

Got a long weekend trip coming up with salmonoid. The Fall's my favorite time of year to just be outside. Hopefully we're lucky enough to run into a fish or two in the process.

A very nice and motivating thread.

Wish October lasted longer.

Nice write-up and some beautiful fish. Sounds like a very relaxing trip. It is a great time of the year to be out there in the woods and on the streams.

Thanks for sharing your experience and photos Klingy. Man I wish Penns had some water in it.

Great post. Better fish!! I'm glad you got some time to fish with your dad. Family is important. I hope to get a few hours in on Spring Creek in the next 3-4 days.

Great post and really nice photos... Congrats on the fish too! thanks for sharing!!! :)

Wonderful post...I could actually get a sense of your deliberate slower paced approach when reading your post.Thanks for sharing
Tom

Really enjoyed this post. Im living and going to school in Pittsburgh now so much of my connection to ff is now through this site since I don't make it out much anymore. Thanks for the great writeup and pics!

Cool post sounded like a great time. I fish penns year round 3-4-5 times a week so I can appreciate your comment of sitting on the bank beautiful place.

Looks like a blast. I need to head out that way before fall turns into winter!

Back