Carlisle this weekend

A

andre

Trying to find some dry fly fishing in Carlisle area this weekend. Any bugs arouund and has anyone seen any rising fish. Live 2 hours away so just hoping someone can spare me a drive if it's not probable. Plenty of Olives in south eastern Pa now but want to take sposes on a trip.

Thanks in advance,

Andre

Probably Yellow Breeches would be your best bet this weekend... although I fished central, PA last weekend and quite honestly the fishing from reports of my friends was much better in southeastern, PA. Might be worth it to stick around southeastern, PA this weekend.

It was like opening day on Sunday on the run and the main stem below the run...and there were just as many spin guys as fly guys. Nothing happening on top between 1 and 4 although the stones were in the air. Still better than working, though.

Stay in the southeast and buy everyone pizza..............

Was out yesterday briefly on Letort and saw no bugs and no rising fish (which is typical).

There have been some reports of BWOs and stoneflies around the Cumberland Valley but it's hit or miss - seems like they have been sparser this year than last.
Sometimes, if you're on a section of creek and see nothing, get in your car and drive up or downstream a couple miles and you'll find insects.

Andre, I haven't been there this year, but have been there in March in the past. Hatches are sporadic and one day they could be very good while the next 2 days very non-existent. Wish I had more info on it. Around April 1 hatches get much better, there will be caddis hatches fairly predictable and dark QG's that are fairly predictable.

I live on a tributary to the breeches and monitor it daily. We can expect Grannoms and Hendricksons anytime know. Last year the majority of these hatches were over by the second day of the open season. However it has not been as mild and will probably be around the end of the month this year. I have been seining and turning stones over to collect nymphs for shows and it is looking very promising. There are a lot of mature Hendrickson nymphs. Not all sections of the creek get good hatches but they come off as low as McCormick road area and as far up as a few miles below Hunsdale hatchery. The hatch of Hendricksons dissapeared for almost 30 years but the last 4 or 5 years it has been as good as anyone would want. Those who travel and expect to hit it should fish all day because depending on air temps. it can come of from 10:00 AM or as late as 4:00 PM.

Back