Bobs Creek Bedford County

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Anyone ever go here? This is the stream the boys go to on opening day. Im gonna fly fishing only and wondered if any of you folks have fished this stream.

Another question
Ive heard of a FFO section in that area and was curious about it. Input please and thanks!

Bob's is a nice little stream. One of my favorites. Loses its water pretty quick. I mostly nymph here. Lots of fun and quite a few naturals up by the monument.

It will be very crowded the first few days...but there is a butt load of fish...there isn't any ffo section but a few "catch and release" sections

There are NO Special Regulations anywhere on BoBs Creek.......but there should be. I vote to make the section from Pavia to the ballfield DHFFO..........anyone else?

osprey that section is catch and release by request of the owner

Osprey, you know better than I there has been a more or less constant debate and shifting of boundaries for the ATW and stocking points. It has been a while for me, but I always fished above the stocking points. According to the PFBC website, the entire stream is ATW, however, the most upstream stocking point is the final pulloff going upstream near the monument trail. I have fished Bob's opening day and it will be crowded all down below the final stocking point. If you want stocked fish, you will deal with other anglers. If you want to chase a hatch and some wild fish and very hardy holdovers or migrants, walk in to a point well-above the upper stocking limit.

JackM..........Gimme a break bro i only have one leg and they don't call me "Blade Runner"

attackone, how is that section of stream enforced? We always turn around and go back to the parking lot when we hit those signs, as we usually have a fish or two in the creel when we reach that area.

Will any blue quill or guill Gordon be coming off in early may? I can never find a good source for hatches on this stream, any links you might know of or advice on hatches?

If you are creeling fish from Bobs creek i myselfwish you would just go home.

Bob's has an interesting diversity of bugs, mostly in sparse hatch events. But, if you are creeling trout, please stay below the monument Rd. section. Even though the trout there are legal to creel, they provide a lot of action in late Spring, and to an extent year-round from that point upstream. Consider releasing them for the enjoyment of others-- or at least limit your kill.

Do i owe you a retainer or anything?

That's one reason most fly fisherman I've been around I'd rather not keep company with. If I want to keep a couple stocked rainbows to eat at my campfire I'll do that. You can either come up to me and let me know how you feel in person or you can go home. I am a mostly a release fisherman as the only fish I will keep are one finned stocked rainbows and only one or two. I fish of monument road most of the time and don't keep any from the section. So if you would like to air out your issues with me in person let me know and I'll give the date and location I will be on your stream.

MattM wrote:
That's one reason most fly fisherman I've been around I'd rather not keep company with. If I want to keep a couple stocked rainbows to eat at my campfire I'll do that. You can either come up to me and let me know how you feel in person or you can go home. I am a mostly a release fisherman as the only fish I will keep are one finned stocked rainbows and only one or two. I fish of monument road most of the time and don't keep any from the section. So if you would like to air out your issues with me in person let me know and I'll give the date and location I will be on your stream.

Hey MattM, you must be travelling in the wrong circles. I've found Fly-fisherman to be some of the most friendly folks I've ever met. If you showed up at one of the many noobie teaching events or the Jam, I'm sure you would agree.

Mr. Osprey may seem to be (to you anyway) a mean, old scoundrel, but in reality, he one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet. Don't judge people just by reading (or misreading) stuff you see on the Internet.

You wouldn't have known from his courteous reply to my post. Any way I've been fishing for 33 years, fly fishing for 13 and have maybe kept 40 trout in my life. I'm all about conservation and releasing wild and native fish. But to Osprey's credit he doesn't know me from Adam and may have judged me by assuming I was not fit to be on his stream? Unfortunately for him I will probably keep my two fish again this year and so will my dad and best friend that I will be with. we will eat them cooked over a campfire with beer and whiskey and not feel one bit of remorse in doing so. Then fortunately for Osprey, after two days of fishing and exploring Bob's Creek I will go home. I'm sure the Jam is fun and I'm sure that most of the people attending are great, but there are always a few arrogant people that will only tell you how they really feel over the internet. As you can tell I don't interact here much as this isn't the first time I've been turned off by some of the conversations on this site.

There are many streams where hatchery trout are stocked and there also wild trout there. One option is to keep some of the stocked trout to eat, but release the wild trout. I see no problem with that.

Keep all the stockies you can catch and catch all the stockies that you can keep.

Well I'll be invading this beautiful trout stream for the next 3 days. How are the water levels, I'm thinking a little low? Will also fish Yellow creek a few hours one day. Plan on keeping a few rainbows for our Saturday night fish fry. Have my 2wt, my "new" Eagle Claw Sweetheart, 6'6" 5wt with vintage Pflueger Medalist 1494, and a 4wt. Plan on fishing the glass rod most of the time. Pumped up to get away and enjoy the mountains, stream, my friends and some good times.

MattM..........in the park property open fires are not allowed on Bobs . watch out for DCNR vehicles , mostly white pick up trucks . On Yellow creek it's DH so i'd be careful keepin a few to eat there also............Friendly Enough? Thanks for the compliment afish , just let me say ....... likewise.

osprey there is no more DH on yellow creek they changed it to FF C&R only a few years back

Thanks for the heads up Osprey but this isn't my first rodeo. I've stayed at 15 different PA State Parks, over the last 20 years. I am aware and follow all PA fish and Boat Commission laws. It's funny how you seem to assume that I would be doing illegal activity because I like to eat a few trout. It's par for the course in most of the areas state parks or fishing and hunting activities occur. The locals have a deep seeded resentment towards anyone that come into their area to partake in the activities, which only they should be able to enjoy.

Back