Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Black/Hayes Creek

From LV
As for the Black Creek in the OP it may be hard during the summer for trout to get up from the river, I think that there is a culvert that makes it hard for fish to get up over except in high water. then again it may be on Hickory Run.

Posted on: 5/27 18:07

From Lycoming county
The black creek by weatherly appears to be healthy and there's solid bug life. Below the town there is a major trib coming in, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it is majorly amd impaired amd basically kills the creek all the way to the mouth. If that discharge is cleaned up, the habitat is there that has potential to support a wild trout population.

Posted on: 5/27 20:41

this is the weatherly area/ west bank of the Lehigh black creek... (map 1-6 on page 562 of massive pdf below shows amd input from Wetzel creek.)

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups ... nts/document/D_001510.pdf

"Black Creek drains an area of approximately 60.4 square miles in Luzerne and Carbon Counties and is a tributary of the Lehigh River. The source of Black Creek is located several miles west of Weatherly, and it completes a more than ten-mile journey, entering the Lehigh River in the Lehigh Gorge State Park at Penn Haven Junction. The creek has four main tributaries: Hazle Creek, Beaver Creek,Wetzel Creek, and Quakake Creek. The creek is impacted by mine drainage from two AMD discharges. The Quakake Tunnel, which drains the Jeansville Coal basin, enters Wetzel Creek. The Hazle Brook overflow enters Hazle Creek near the old beryllium plant. Pennsylvania DEP classifies the creek as a HQ-CWF from its source to Beaver Creek and a CWF from Beaver Creek to its confluence with the Lehigh River. The creek is listed on the 1998 303(d) list of impaired streams in Pennsylvania. The Black Creek has the largest discharge of the four AMD-affected streams in the study with a mean discharge of 71.64 cfs (32,078 gpm). It accounts for between 23 and 24% of the mine 116 drainage factors entering the Lehigh. The creek is the second highest contributor of AMD acidity, aluminum, iron, and sulfate. Aluminum, pH, and alkalinity fail to meet Pennsylvania Chapter 93 water quality standards at this site."

Posted on: 5/28 10:07

From Lycoming county
Many of the hazel creek discharges have treatment systems in place that our greatly improving the water quality. The quekake tunnel discharge is the main problem. There are solid macro populations and the locals say they are seeing brook trout above the confluence with quekake. If the quekake discharge can be treated this stream definately has potential to be a solid fishery.

Posted on: 5/28 22:43

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Ok are we talking about black creek that runs through weatherly? If so I was just there last week collecting macro samples, and have to go back later in summer to do an electro fishing survey. Right above town there is great habitat, huge boulders that form deep holes, great riffle areas and tons of cover. I can see the sample results beings skewed if that's where the survey was.

No, he's talking about Hayes Creek on the other side (eastern) of the Lehigh river bank. Hayes is also known as Black Creek but it's not the same stream that runs through Weatherly.

As far as the survey sites, 100 meters isn't a small segment to me. We're talking two sites that are each 300 feet in length. I kinda doubt that these two areas are the only stretches with good habitat and the entire rest of the stream is only marginal. I didn't do well either on the time or two I fished Hayes but I've seen the survey report and some of the photos from it and talked with a fellow that was there for the survey. It's legit.

Posted on: 5/28 23:10

From Mont Co, Pa
Yea, I don't know how a completely different stream is being talked about in this thread. I thought I kind of made myself clear as to what stream I was speaking about. Like mentioning Rt 534 & Rt 80?

Anyway, I thought I'd include this pic which is at the base of the tunnel that goes under the road. This can't be a good thing for the stream.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2184 (Custom).JPG (49.08 KB)
2119_538737e268e88.jpg 460X345 px

Posted on: 5/29 9:38

Edited by wildtrout2 on 2014/5/29 9:55:49

From Mount Joy, PA
I knew which stream you were referring to as I've fished it several times and it has been discussed at length on this board in the past. If you hiked up to 80 from 534, that was probably a pretty arduous hike. Plenty of rhodo and other choking vegetation. Not to mention, I always felt like I was going to roll up on a bear while fishing that stream.

Nice report on your fishing activities and it certainly reaffirms my thought process that when I'm up there I'll skip this stream and focus on others.

Posted on: 5/29 19:00

oh lyco mentioned interesting info on the other Lehigh trib called black creek. at least we weren't talking about the Little Nescopecks. Yes, there are two of them, and a black creek over there, too. :)

Attach file:

jpg  14117751060_986de2d01e.jpg (139.16 KB)
2769_5388613f7e9ed.jpg 500X425 px

Posted on: 5/30 6:45

From LV
Someone asked about the Black Creek on the west side of the Lehigh. There is a third Black Creek nearby that is also impacted by AMD and sewerage, that's dead. The Black Creek in Weatherly is dead, I fished there years ago below Quakake Creek.
But the OP Black Creek/Hayes Creek is alive. I believe it's pretty heavily fished and that is why people catch few trout. It doesn't help that it's populated by recalcitrant browns.

Posted on: 6/1 7:44

From Lycoming county
Fished black/ Hayes creek shortly Saturday morning, while camping at hickory run. Fished for about a mile above 534 had one brookie on, and had a couple other hits. Its a beautiful creek, wish I had more time to explore.

Posted on: 7/6 21:44

From Mount Joy, PA
That fishing success sounds similar to mine on the lower stretch of it. By all accounts, it sounds like the fish population is further up. Rhodo/mountain laurel central!

Posted on: 7/10 10:30

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com