Big spring

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

I am thinking abiut heading to big spring with a couple buddies on Sunday. Do the snowplows pile the snow into the fishing lots? We are coming up with a truck but would hate to make the trek and not be able to park.

I believe parking areas along streams are very low on the plowing priority.

Yeah. Especially is they get 20+ over there. Jus spin around and back it in at 25mph. Not sure how good roads will be before late Sunday

Or take a shovel and clear a space for you and the next person. Problem solved.

Just wanted to make sure they don't pile the snow from the roads into the lots. I assumed that they wouldn't plow the lots. Some of the lots I have been to have had a 8 foot wall of snow making parking impossible.

I almost went there before the storm to get snowed in for a week lol

The main lots are rather large so I dont envision anyone piling massive amounts of snow in them to the point where you couldn't park. If your truck is 4wd you will be fine.

^---- Ditto that.

They'll plow open the two lane road and that'll be it until Spring/thaw so bring a shovel. Dig an opening thru the compacted plow bank, then blast on thru, park it, go fishin' and hope you can get out when the time comes...

or take a blower in a pickup and do us all a favor and clear a couple of spaces.

I know this totally off topic but how is I 81 in PA? Im at a truck stop in VA and need to get to Scranton.

Kathy,

I have no idea exacty how I-81 is as I am in York but watching the forecasts, It appears the worst density of snow is falling around the Adams/York/Harrisburg north/ and into Dauphin Counties. From 2-3" per hour. Supposed to taper off and end this evening.

I would wait until late afternoon to make a go of it. You may get through to PA but the news is saying that they have switched from plows to graders and earth movers to remove snow. No where for it to go.

Right now just saw a pic on the news that shows the strongest bands along the I-81 line for about 100 miles from the PA border through the area well north of Harrisburg/Dauphin Counties.

Stay put and stay safe.

I looked at the PennDOT traffic cameras for 81 and did not see a vehicle on the ones from the MD line north for about 30 miles. That's kind of on the edge of the bullseye. I'd wait, if you can.

Thanks for the road conditions. Ill probably stay put. Im near Martinsville and the NC line. Im getting punchy though. I left Scranton 7pm thursday and Ive been at a truck stop since 8am yesterday. The truck stop actually closed due to the weather. Glad I topped off the fuel and brought extra food.

The parking lot at Big Spring is the least of your worries. The major highways in VA, where you live, and in PA are pretty much closed down. The snow will end on Sunday morning and the highways will drivable, but most of the secondary roads will be in bad shape. It will take a few days for everything to be opened up and safe for driving. Even then, I would guess the entrances to the parking lots at BS would be plowed in. Stay home.

afishinado wrote:
The parking lot at Big Spring is the least of your worries. The major highways in VA, where you live, and in PA are pretty much closed down. The snow will end on Sunday morning and the highways will drivable, but most of the secondary roads will be in bad shape. It will take a few days for everything to be opened up and safe for driving. Even then, I would guess the entrances to the parking lots at BS would be plowed in. Stay home.

I'll second this.
Give it a few days. The BS parking lots are sometimes plowed a short way in. One of them has a private drive. They are owned by the PFBC and clearing them for angler access is not a priority. Usually within a few days of a snowstorm the CV streams' parking spots have been driven over by 4WD guys and the snow is flattened enough that regular cars can find a place to tuck in to. However this storm has such large accumulation that this effect may not happen. Sometimes a local fella with a truck and plow will take a swipe thru the lots. Again, I'd give a few days.

Hang in there Cathy.

I agree with comments above. Here in western Cumberland County we are in the center of the storm. It looks like we will get 30+ inches. I don't expect secondary roads to be in great shape tomorrow.

for reference....downtown Carlisle, 2ish in the afternoon:
DSC_0109-L.jpg

DSC_0111-L.jpg

Fishing is on fire right now. Make sure you post some pictures of the trip.

I admire your enthusiasm with wanting to fish BS on Sunday, but honestly, things are bad here. Really bad. Sunday will be a day of digging out and trying to get back on our feet. I can't see the parking lots being in any shape to park in and they'll have at least two feet of snow in them.

Should you make the trek, good luck!

Back