Big Spring Trout Survey

I just read this quickly, but I didn't see any mention of brown trout. Does this mean there are no longer any brown trout? I've only fished this stream for 6-7 years but the first couple times I've been there I remember seeing a couple very large browns (both in the ditch and downstream). The past couple times I've been I haven't seen any browns.

Has anyone caught any browns there recently?

moon1284 wrote:
Does this mean there are no longer any brown trout?

The topic of browns in BS has been extensively discussed on this forum. Essentially, wild BT have never been prevalent in the FFO section of BS and the remnant population of large BTs leftover from the hatchery days (there are still some there) has been declining. Recent surveys continue to reveal a handful of YOY BTs but they are considered too few to bother monitoring. Why BTs have failed to establish a population in upper BS is a mystery and matter of debate.

BS is a rainbow and brookie stream.

It is important to note the increase in brook trout and the decrease in rainbow trout over the last few years.

The restoration projects - Phase 1 and Phase 2 (completed in 2010 and 2013 respectively) - were designed to favor brook trout (ST) and initially RTs were dominant. The good news (IMO) is that STs have gradually done better and increased their numbers in a downstream trend. In Phase 1, for example, in 2015 the estimated population per mile of wild ST was 1906 with fish up to 16 inches! This is the highest level recorded since 2008 in that section and an astonishing statistic for wild ST in PA.

The Phase 2 section just downstream also continues to see rising ST population and falling RT population. These are good trends and in keeping with the goal of enhancing the habitat of BS to favor STs.

Fishidiot wrote:
It is important to note the increase in brook trout and the decrease in rainbow trout over the last few years.

The restoration projects - Phase 1 and Phase 2 (completed in 2010 and 2013 respectively) - were designed to favor brook trout (ST) and initially RTs were dominant. The good news (IMO) is that STs have gradually done better and increased their numbers in a downstream trend. In Phase 1, for example, in 2015 the estimated population per mile of wild ST was 1906 with fish up to 16 inches! This is the highest level recorded since 2008 in that section and an astonishing statistic for wild ST in PA.

The Phase 2 section just downstream also continues to see rising ST population and falling RT population. These are good trends and in keeping with the goal of enhancing the habitat of BS to favor STs.

What habitat design elements did they use in order to favor brook trout over rainbow trout?

troutbert wrote:
What habitat design elements did they use in order to favor brook trout over rainbow trout?

Essentially, the stream was narrowed and slowed.

This was done by filling in banks to narrow the stream channel by nearly half and increasing the depth from a few inches to a foot or two. Log wing tip deflectors were utilized to slow the current. The essential goal was to produce a channel that was deeper and slower based on the traditional belief that STs prefer pool or pond environments and because in the upper section of BS (the ditch and control section just below) the channel was narrower and deeper and STs seemed to like that habitat.

Based on these criteria, the dimensions for the Phase 1 and Phase 2 sections were established.

"What habitat design elements did they use in order to favor brook trout over rainbow trout?"

Also to add to FI post, I believe they also added additional appropriate sized gravel to favor the brook trout.

"Has anyone caught any browns there recently?"

Just a couple months ago in the FFO section I caught a small wild brown not far downstream from the ditch, first I've seen/caught in a few years.

I fish this stream a lot bc it's close. This year I did not see any brown until recently. I'm not saying they weren't there but they weren't sitting out. Recently I've seen a few including one around 12 which is honestly the smallest one I've seen. I was after a brown last year that was caught and posted here. im not sure if recently seeing the Browns was due to it being spawn time or what but neither were on redds.

It's nice to see the brook trout numbers increasing. It does appear that the bigger rainbows are declining. Basically my observation from fishing it. Boy would I love to see that 17-18 in brook.

I think bs could help from scraping some of the ditch area floor. This would without a doubt help spawning imo.

wondering...

I was told as you head down from the ditch, the large parking area (sorry for poor directions here)....below that fishing is really poor due to some form of discharge from the farm across the river. The inlets right downstream of the drive way.

Thanks for the report...have had a lot of fun on my trips in the ditch!

AKDan,
Big Spring is improving in a downstream direction and studies continue to reveal improving fish population structure further downstream.

For many years, the section below the FFO has held fewer wild fish and the reason for this is a mystery although there has been speculation about agro-runoff as that region is intensive farm country and most of the farms along the stream have spring inflows. Recent studies have also revealed somewhat lower than ideal oxygen levels. This section is stocked and has been for many years(below the FFO).
More research is needed and studies continue.

that parallels what I had been told as well.

I did see the silt in the lower section, above the dam).

can you fish below the dam in town? Looked more promising from what I could see (which was little). had more flow anyways.

AkDan76 wrote:
that parallels what I had been told as well.
I did see the silt in the lower section, above the dam).
can you fish below the dam in town? Looked more promising from what I could see (which was little). had more flow anyways.

Generally, the area below town is posted. There is some limited access and the possibility exists that access may improve in the future. The silt issue above the Laughman Mill has long been targeted for remediation. Time, permitting, and funding are issues (as usual).

Quote: AkDan76 wrote: that parallels what I had been told as well. I did see the silt in the lower section, above the dam). can you fish below the dam in town? Looked more promising from what I could see (which was little). had more flow anyways. Generally, the area below town is posted. There is some limited access and the possibility exists that access may improve in the future. The silt issue above the Laughman Mill has long been targeted for remediation. Time, permitting, and funding are issues (as usual).

I hope so. That area down there as been on my want to fish list for years.

In the small stretch that is open, I've caught rainbow, Browns and pickerels!

Harvest below the FF section could be a culprit for low numbers.

Back