Big Spring/Newville????

F

Fishwagen

I have the day off tomorrow and wouldn't you know it...a warming trend!!! How's that for luck? Anyway, thought about venturing up to Big Spring in Newville and give it a go.

It will be my first time on this creek so I have little knowledge other than what I have found on this site and other articles.

Without giving up anyone's "spot", what are the better sections to focus on? don't mind prospecting a bit, but since its only a short trip I would rather make it a little easier.

Also, where is the "Ditch?"

Any help would be appreciated.

On a map, locate creek mouth to headwaters/spring. The ditch is just below the spring. You can travel the entire stretch by car in less than 15 minutes and see the water nearly the whole way. The upper portion is not stocked by PFBC. The closer you get to the ditch, the more stream-bred trout will dominate. Like Spring Creek, there is no bad place to put in. Just start walking and observing. Stay out of the water until you know what you want to do fishing-wise.

As Jack pointed out, the "ditch" is the very uppermost (upstream) section of this stream and is about 150 yards in length and goes up to the spring source. The lower end of the ditch is obvious due to the presence of an old concrete mill dam. There is a PFBC parking lot right at that spot.

There are wild fish all down through the FF section - not just the ditch. There are, however, more brook trout in the ditch and immediately downstream. As you work further downstream there are more rainbows.

There is a ton of discussion on this forum if you want to learn about this stream. Use the Advanced Search button at the bottom of this page to read additional threads on this popular topic.

Thanks for the replies. I read a little more from some of the posts and figured it out as well, however your directions removed all doubt. I was actually looking at the creek backwards at first.

Very excited to enjoy the day...hopefully I will be able to put enough skill together to bring a few to hand.

Red thread on a tiny hook for the ditch.

#12 stimulator in green.

Fishwagen......Big Spring is a pretty "short" creek , not but a few miles of stream from the source at the ditch to the mouth , right below the old waterwheel mill in downtown......heh........Newville. I used to live there , 80's n 90's. Anywhere along it's short run can produce fish , use your gut feeling and the folks there are great , ask questions to whoever you encounter while fishing , the locals are all more than happy to share their TREASURE. GOOD LUCK!!!! Let us know how things turned out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone provided. Once I got out to the stream, I realized it was pretty easy to survey.

I got out there on Wednesday about 10:30. Drove the creek from just outside town to the spring. My dad was with me and he loved the fact he didn't have to "bushwack" his way in. We first went to the newly renovated area and took a look around. One other angler downstream from us. Unfortunately we saw no fish in this area so we moved up to the next parking/access area.

Once we got there we walked just over to the small bridge and took a quick look. First spot I looked at...big old Rainbow sitting in front of a rock like he didn't have a care in the world. I thought at this point it was gonna be a good day!

So we got all geared up and proceeded to work downstream of the small bridge. Water was 53* and low and crystal clear. I snuck into a spot to try my luck with the rainbow I initially saw. Kinda squatted down behind a grassy bush behind him and tried a dropper/cressbug...nothing! He moved a bit on one cast but quickly went back to his spot. Without going into all the details, I tried about everything I could think of and this fish didn't budge!

So I decided to give him a rest and move on. My dad was further downstream and met up with him. He said he couldn't believe how many nice fish he saw already and we had only been at it about an hour or so. I saw at least 15 or more in just about a 50-100 yard section downstream of the bridge. A few smaller ones but at least 6 12-14" bows and brooks.

Needless to say we never left this short stretch, saw more quality trout than anywhere we have been...and didn't catch a thing. Got a few to move, but only to quickly veer off at the last second. I don't like getting skunked, but just enjoying a new stretch of water and trying to refine my skills was a lot of fun. Plus it was nice to enjoy a warm day in December.

Around 1, another fellow pulled in and went upstream. He came down to the bridge a few hours later and tried to get the same rainbow I started with. He had the same results as us upstream and didn't want to go home skunked. Watched him work the fish for about 20 minutes w no luck. Big Spring definitely fishes hard...very hard! Looks like I gotta get my game a little sharper for this place.

All in all, it was a good day. I hate getting skunked just like the next guy! but I also enjoy the "hunt" as well. Never a bad day when your fishing...I'll definitely be back.

Tony

Just got back from BS. Started at the end of the special regs, and moved upstream. Brought a 21" bow to hand on a size 6 slumpbuster, drug across the bottom(video hopefully to follow soon). Lost one 2 weeks ago doing the same thing. It seems sculpin patterns will get them to move.

Fishwagen wrote:
Unfortunately we saw no fish in this area so we moved up to the next parking/access area.

You will see fish on occasion in Big Spring, but there are TONS of fish that you can't see. Just because you're not seeing fish doesn't mean they're not in there. The newly renovated section is holding plenty of fish. The weedbeds in the entire stream are holding plenty of fish.

wgmiller wrote:
Fishwagen wrote:
Unfortunately we saw no fish in this area so we moved up to the next parking/access area.

You will see fish on occasion in Big Spring, but there are TONS of fish that you can't see. Just because you're not seeing fish doesn't mean they're not in there. The newly renovated section is holding plenty of fish. The weedbeds in the entire stream are holding plenty of fish.

In addition to the fish you cannot see you are looking at fish that you cannot see. Small rainbows covered the bottom of the prior restoration area and it wasn't until I walked and kept looking that I saw the bottom move, It looks barren but its not.

I was curious about the ATW below. Last time I fished there it didn't look like any trout were around. I understand there is a dissolved oxygen problem in the lower section. What is curious is that the creek was a series of mill ponds which held many fish. Wouldn't dissolved oxygen and thermal impacts been a problem back then? From the old photos it appeared to have less trees than it does now.

albud1962 wrote:
What is curious is that the creek was a series of mill ponds which held many fish. Wouldn't dissolved oxygen and thermal impacts been a problem back then?

One would think. The dissolved oxygen problem these days isn't severe....but is measurable. Why the difference between then and now? Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to tackle this one. Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

The lack of trees in the old photos of Cumberland Valley limestoners back in the day is really striking.
Definitely a lot more trees along BS and Letort today.

The dissolved oxygen problem throughout most of latter half of the 20th century was caused by the hatchery. BOD (biological oxygen demand) sucked the O2 out of the water almost immediately. That's why all the fish were concentrated at the Ditch. Getting rid of the hatchery reduced this, but it's taken some time for the overabundance of vegetation in the upper section to work its way out, so there's still a residual effect.

Water temps weren't the problem.

Fishidiot wrote:
albud1962 wrote:
What is curious is that the creek was a series of mill ponds which held many fish. Wouldn't dissolved oxygen and thermal impacts been a problem back then?
Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

I have heard that too, FI... the mill owners not only did channel work but also would periodically drain their ponds and flush them... in essence giving the stream an enema.

Fishidiot wrote:
albud1962 wrote:

One would think. The dissolved oxygen problem these days isn't severe....but is measurable. Why the difference between then and now? Someone more knowledgeable than I would have to tackle this one. Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

The lack of trees in the old photos of Cumberland Valley limestoners back in the day is really striking.
Definitely a lot more trees along BS and Letort today.

How good was the trout population back in the day? In the upper stretches? And the rest of the way down? Most of the angling writing seems to deal with the upper end.

And when are talking about "back in the day" do you mean 1970? 1930? 1880? 1840? 1770? It probably makes a difference!

It may be that the trout population in the lower stretches has been low for a long time.

Troutbert:
Pm sent.....

Fishidiot wrote:
Troutbert:
Pm sent.....
Come on Dave why's the big secret? I think we all would like to know.

Chaz, wouldn't that take all the fun out of it?

greenghost wrote:
Fishidiot wrote:
albud1962 wrote:
Perhaps it may be connected to the fact that back in the day there was consistent and meticulous channel maintenance performed by the mill owners(?).

I have heard that too, FI... the mill owners not only did channel work but also would periodically drain their ponds and flush them... in essence giving the stream an enema.

yup the mill pools would have been connected by a series of locks or hatches - some still exist on the man made side streams of the Test and Itchen chalkstreams in England.

they would systematically 'flush' the entire system during a big flood by opening the hatches from upstream downwards in January or February.

if you ever read an old English fly fishing book you'll often read mentions of the 'hatch pool' - often with a big trout trout in its depths.

the rest of the year the hatches were often kept 3/4 closed and the water rushes through and oxygenates the mill pond - often a great spot for a heavy nymph like Sawyers Killer Bug.

in March they would then physically get in the channels and mill pools with scythes and clean out the weed - using it as fertiliser on veggies.

Thats why even though Brown Trout spawn in the fall, the traditional Trout Season doesn't start until April - we inherited the season from England !

Back