Best Winter SWPA streams

boss_steb

boss_steb

SO I had some time today and like a moron instead of gearing up and heading out to fish I did yard work and taking down lights etc. I live in Washington PA so my question is what are the best winter streams in SWPA. I would guess the Yough has to be on there but that river eats me up...Big water (i know...break it down into small streams inside the big water) but that just hasn't produced for me.

I normally would run to either Neshannock or Dunbar. Maybe the better investment in time would be to run to Yellow in Bedford.

Thoughts everyone?

Boss

Boss, I grew up in Washington county, went to Ringgold. There are always Kings creek and Aunt Clara's fork out in Paris. I hit Aunt Clara's back in Sept. and did well on holdovers. There are also a few wild browns throughout this drainage. They are the only streams designated as cold water fisheries in the county. Other than that, try Indian creek out in Westmoreland county in the DHALO and upstream. Camp run is there as well. Access lower end of DHALO of Indian at intersection of SR 31 and SR 381.

If I were going to fish in the winter, yellow creek would be at the top of my list - and definitely worth the long drive.
Closer to home, I would give the yough tailrace a shot.

escoidae - wild trout in washington county? I would have never guessed it ......

Try upper DH area on Laurel Hill in the Boy Scout Camp. They gate it off when the snow gets deep, but you can drive in now I would guess. Yough is already mentioned.

Yep different try yellow, like others have said it will be worth the ride

Thanks to everyone for the advice...watching the weather...might not break 25 tomorrow...so not sure where I will head.

Boss

Back