Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Best Trout Fly Fishing east of the Mississippi

From florida
Western Mass. Southern Vt. Deerfield, Hoosic , Battenkill, lots of other smaller waters as well. GG

Posted on: 2012/10/26 16:37

From LV
The Blue Ridge Mt. in Va, Maine anywhere, but make sure it's not too hot. NC PA, Anyhwere in the Appalachian Mts. before June. The Coast from ME. to FLA.

Posted on: 2012/10/26 21:51

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Bringing up an old tread. I’ve fished many eastern streams and here are my top 10 picks. Based on numbers, size, technical skil, hatches, memories, and straight shi+ & pi$$

1) Elkhorn
2) Delaware
3) Gunpowder
4) Falling Springs
5) Savage / Potomac System
6) Rapidan
7) Beaver Creak
8) Spring Creek
9) Little J
10) Slaty Fork

Posted on: 1/3 23:48

From Burke VA
Wow, going way back! How did you stumble across a 5 year old post? Gunpowder is nice but way, way too high.

Posted on: 1/4 0:46

Mi+1 Outer Banks / Harker's. It's pretty much a year-round fishery with a peak in late October through November for False Albacore.

Posted on: 1/4 8:26
We did not inherited this earth from our parents to do with it what we will. We borrowed it from our children and we must be careful to use it in their interests as well as our own. Anyone who fails to recognise this is either ignorant, a fool, or evil.

Salmon River
Valley Creek
Oak Orchard Creek
Burt Dam

Posted on: 1/4 8:57

From Poconos
#4 Falling Springs?

It's defintely a unqiue trickle of water with pretty good biomass but higher than LJ and Spring? Please explain what you like so much about FS. Just curious...

Posted on: 1/4 9:16

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
I listed Gunpowder at 3 because of the scenery, the number of trout, and hatches. Although it’s not big fish waters, I find it challenging and more enjoyable to fish than streams lower on the list.

I listed Falling Springs at 4 because it has an abundance of large trout and I enjoy fishing it more than other streams.

Posted on: 1/4 9:30

From State College, PA
Here's mine in no particular order:

Jackson River Tailwater-VA
Mossy Creek-VA
North Creek-VA
Whitetop Laurel-VA
Beaver Creek-MD
Falling Spring-PA
Big Spring-PA
Van Campens Brook-NJ
Rapid River-ME
Davidson River-NC

Posted on: 1/4 10:44

From down the block from the Letort.
Penns.

Posted on: 1/4 10:52

I've fished most of the waters listed in the 2018 revisit. W branch penobscot and de river system blows them all away. Battenkill river in vt blows most of them away. The southern tailwaters are fun but they get maybe 5 different hatches. If this was a list for best place to fish size 18 or smaller bwos or sulphurs maybe I'd agree.

It's hard to be on the upper de with less than 5 bugs hatching at the same time. I can see penns on the list due to its hatches.

Posted on: 1/4 11:21

From Chester County
Any list of the "best" trout fishing is very subjective, since it really depends on what type of fishing and fish you prefer.

Great hatches? big fish? a lot of fish? native brook trout? bigger rivers you can float? smaller streams you can wade? great scenery?.....

I will say we are all pretty lucky to live in PA since we can find most any kind of quality trout fishing experience within a reasonable drive.

I've fished many of the places mentioned above and they are all great in their own way.

Also, there are many places mentioned above that I have not fished....lotsa new places to try!!

Posted on: 1/4 12:23

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
The best water is the one I'm headin' to after a weeks worth of work.

Posted on: 1/4 14:37

From Philadelphia, PA
I consider a day's drive to be about 8 hours. So a lot of those on your list are way beyond a day's drive for me. Vermont is good destination. Where I go is about a 6 hour ride from Philly. Excellent trout fishing if that's all your interested in. Warm and cool water fishing is pretty good in various lakes and rivers.

Paulson. Both Burlington and Rutland have commercial airports. Not sure who flies there or how many flights there are. If you're flying your own plane there's probably several more general aviation airports.

Posted on: 1/5 13:18

From York & Starlight, PA
For supposedly great trout fishing (I have never fished it) the South Holston in eastern Tennessee (right state?) I know guys who tell me the Sulfurs start in late April and continue for months. It is a hydro electric river and rises daily to flows that are unwadeable. But you can wade fish from early morning to about noon and then rent a drift boat or go wade some of the other local rivers for trout or smallmouth bass.

The Keys are not a day's drive from anywhere in PA or northern states. It is 150 miles from Miami to Key West. It is 1306 miles (21 hours) from York, PA to Key West.

Posted on: 1/5 14:07

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com