Asaph Run

Swattie87

Swattie87

Drove by this stream on the way home from my Tioga/Potter trip this weekend. It was dry (I mean bone dry, not even a stagnant puddle to be seen) near its mouth at the bridge on Marsh Creek Rd. Although flows on the small streams were pretty low up there despite the recent rains, I saw many streams with much smaller watersheds than Asaph with plenty of water in them. Anyway, I drove upstream toward the picnic area and found the stream flowing along just fine. For the local guys...assume there is a sinkhole or something similar? Is this normal for this stream during lower flows?

Can't comment on this specific stream, but I fished one in the same general area that was higher over this past weekend than it was three months ago. One of the smaller tributaries, however, was all but bone dry. Seems the rain gave some of the bigger stems a boost.

Any chance there is fracking water withdrawal occurring in the watershed?

normal for Asaph and Canada to be dry all summer at the bottom. should have stopped by would have sent ya to a small stream that's producing some nice size brookies.. A lot of the smaller tribs run dry at the bottom during the summer. just remember only 10% of streams are on the surface. asaph comes out in marsh under ground and there's lots of fish. did ya stop on the bridge over marsh there's a 25" brown in there..

Thanks sandfly. We ended up not really heading up past your way until the way home on Monday. I thought it was a little odd in that most of the other smaller tribs I saw this weekend still had water at their mouths. Asaph's twin one valley to the east had water at its mouth. We got into some Brookies on one smaller run, but spent most of our time on the bigger streams. Did real well on Smallies on Pine.

Drove over the bridge on Marsh, but didn't stop and look down.

There is water in Asaph at the mouth, it's just sunk into the stream bed. Further up there'll be water, I fished it in July and it was low, but otherwise cold enough to fish. It is a geology thing that causes this stream and a few others in the region to sink into the stream bed. Think Ice Age.
You also see this along rt. 209 in the Delaware R. basin.

Back